New to chickens and BYC!

Jprice21

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 11, 2014
TX
Hello everyone,

My name is Josh and I recently bought 5 hens from a free range chicken farm I drive by all the time.

1 White leghorn
1 Cuckoo Maran
1 Black Australorp
1 Speckled Sussex
1 Ameraucana

Im super excited to have them and already I've been getting eggs, which makes it that much better! As of right now I have them on a small free range area in my backyard with a coop and covered area. I'm pretty sure the white leghorn and the Black Australorp are the ones laying.

Feel free to ask any question if needed, I don't know much but I'd love to help any way possible. Also feel free to give me any advice with these breeds, I'll take all the info I can get!

Thanks,
Josh

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for the reply!

I really like the colored eggs that the Ameraucana has the potential to lay, but personality wise I love the White Leghorn. She follows me around and has warmed up to me the quickest. The others are not to sure of me yet!

What kind do you have?

Thanks,
Josh

Hey Josh! Welcome to the BYC Family!

1f632.png
You know great minds think alike. So here's the best place to give and get info. Your chickens sound like a really good bunch of hens. Do you have names for them yet? Mine all know and respond to them.
What most people don't know, is that chickens are dog smart, if not smarter.
1f609.png
They can be mischievous, brave and protective.
1f60a.png

So glad you joined. Good luck with your girls.
263a.png

Welcome to BYC, Josh! Glad you decided to join our flock. My son's name is Josh. :eek:) I'm not surprised that your White Leghorn and Black Australorp are the ones laying. I've had all of the breeds on your list at one time or another over the past 50 years and those are the two best laying breeds you have. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting lots more eggs.

Thanks NickyKnack,

I appreciate that! I did not know that! Thank you for sharing. I don't have names yet, well none that I like haha! But I am noticing the personalities, they almost seem to change pecking order daily though, not sure why!

Back
Top Bottom