New to chickens and haven't a clue!!

tracyrene

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 2, 2010
Granite Falls
Hello!
I have a neighbor who has chickens and 1 rooster. One hen laid her eggs and after hatching 2 she abandoned her nest. It broke my heart so I ended up taking home 7 eggs. I have no incubator, but brought them right in and set up my "nursery" in a bathroom. 2 days later an egg hatched!! I have never been so thrilled in my life! I have 6 eggs left and have them under a light and am taking temps constantly. Temps are ranging from 97* to 100*. I have them on a towel under the light and make everyone shower in there for humidity! May sound crazy, but I am doing my best! Also, I get my hands wet numerous times throughout the day and touch each egg. (I read that online somewhere!). I have been smelling the eggs and they have no odor. It has been a week tomorrow since I hatched one. Today I took one out and set it on the counter and it instantly started to wiggle. It's ALIVE! How long after noticing the wiggle should I expect hatching? I have not heard any peeps inside the egg, but I have heard a very faint pecking noise. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
big_smile.png
I know my conditions are not the greatest, but I didn't have much to work with!
Thanks,

Tracy

Sounds like you're doing good so far! Instead of using your hands, try and put wet sponges around under the light, it will help with the humidity.

Congrats on your baby!!

Wow congrat's.I guess there are other mean's of hatching other than an incubator.If you think sometime's hen's are off nest and well no one is sprtizing the egg's with water and I have had a silkie hatch 12 in late VERY cold Nov weather.Anything is possible.Maybe a heating pad would work but I guess you would have to calibrate the temp firt on something like that.Just keep them warm and a moist towel in for humidity but not TOOO wet.Maybe some more will hatch ya never know.That is just awesome
ya.gif
.Do you have a brooder set up for them? They will need heat food and water.A rubbermaid tote with heat lamp or brooder bulb. paper towels in bottom(only for first couple day's) andr pine shavings and water and Yes lot's of love.Congrat's.Let Us know how it goes.

I have a rubbermaid tote and a heat lamp set up. The neighbor gave me food for chicks.
Here is my new baby!
62082_1st_chick.jpg

Hope the pic works! I am new.
I am not sure what a brooder is!?

Awesome!!!!

A brooder is where you put the new hatchlings after they dry and get fluffy.
You put the heat lamp over it in a corner (so that they have rm on other side to get away from the heat if its too warm for them). Temp of 90ish the 1st wk, drop by 5 degrees each week after.

Food, water, wood chips with paper towels over for first few days, then just wood chips. You might try putting a small stuffed animal in with the new baby so it has something soft to cuddle with until other hatchlings come along.

Congrats and good luck!!

Oh, also, if you use a small, low dish for water, make sure its one that wont tip over and put rocks, legos or marbles in it so the chick doesnt drown.

Last edited:
I purchased a hen house 2 days ago and have it all spruced up and painted! I just need to make a little pen. Well, and also a little growth for the little one! I have read at 5 weeks I can move him outside? Is that right? Or should I wait longer?
62082_henhouse.jpg

Also, if the other egg hatches will it be safe with the 1st one that hatched? I assume there will be quite a size difference in a weeks time?

Back
Top Bottom