New to Chickens from Boise, ID!

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

We have a contest going on right now just for new folks like you. In order to enter you'll need to copy the link from your first post in this thread and post it in the contest thread.

To copy your link address, right click on the link to your thread and click copy or copy link
2019-02-09_16-09-54-jpg.1671012
then click on the following URL
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...t-new-byc-members-win-a-byc-calendar.1287752/
Go down to where it says "write your reply..." tell us this is your entry and then click on the link button
2019-02-09_16-13-22-jpg.1671016

Paste your URL into the box and click "insert", then click "Post Reply".
2019-02-09_16-14-09-jpg.1671019

That's all there is to it. Once you've finished this, you're eligible to win a nice BYC Calendar.

Hey there! I have a prefab we are currently putting together and I don't see a problem with it. We are properly sealing the wood for weather first which is where I have seen some go wrong based on reviews and what a few other chicken keepers have told me recently. I am also handy with things like repairs or shoring up weak areas but since I am disabled don't really have the funds or physical ability to build one from scratch. Being in Boise we also have pretty mild winters in our neighborhood so I'm not worried about snow drifts and prairie winds and such. The one we picked was from TSC and was originally $500 but on sale for $299 so really I feel like we could not have built one of the same size for that price. It is about 9ft x 5.5ft and is 6.5ft tall with a walk in door and fully covered.

Yes I had heard about a lot of Americaunas actually being Easter Eggers which I think is crappy of them but she's still so cute! Love them little fluffy cheeks! She seems really sweet too.
Glad to see some others that find prefabs useful.
You’re EE baby is adorable!
Here’s my two new ones along with two barred Rocks I got from D&B.
78C42CF9-517E-4B80-8690-81E0F902111A.jpeg

Thank you for all the suggestions!! I've kind of fallen in love with the Wichita Cabin Coop. I love that it's endlessly customizable (and that they were willing to share the plans, since I am a complete construction newbie). Also, thank you to @ChooksNQuilts and @Indigo Lioness for your advice on prefabs! Since I want to get the chickens going asap, I think we may do a prefab and weather proof it and use that as our initial coop, until we have a little more time to really build what we want! It'll also give us a bit of time to test drive what we think we'll really need in terms of customization.

We have our five initial chicks and are adding another one tomorrow! It has been so fun getting to know their little personalities. We have a Black Copper Maran, a Black Maran Sex Link, a buff Orpington, an Ameraucana/Easter Egger?, and we will be getting a light Brahma. I haven't been able to find a ton of info on Black Maran Sex Linked chicks - seems like they're just a cross between a Black Maran and something else? We think the sex link is the one with black feathered feet (correct me if I'm wrong, the other black chick has white feathered feet). The other black chick had a webbed foot, and thanks to this site I looked up how to release the webbing (she was using the foot almost immediately, and all the toes have straightened out already). What a resource this site is!

Attachments

• IMG_20190319_082226.jpg
    IMG_20190319_082226.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom