New to chickens in AZ

Well... The ladies seem to be doing well and are still growing daily. Food consumption has skyrocketed and they are now going through a 50lb bag every 2 weeks. It looks like we will have to start transitioning them to the layer crumble in a couple of weeks, since we will be out of the Start & Grow and will be down to just a bag of the layer crumble then. It seems a trip to the feed store is in the near future.

We also did some work on the coop and run today, with a bit more to do tomorrow. We have been having issues with pullets constantly hiding under the coop. While this is not a big deal, we were concerned that they might start laying eggs under there and it would be VERY difficult for us to get to those eggs. Due to these concerns, we decided to block access to the space beneath the coop. We then cut a couple lengths of 2x4 and hung them in the run to make some perch swings. None of the girls have jumped up on one yet, but hopefully they learn to use and enjoy them.

As for the coop, we first did a good cleaning. It is amazing how much these little things poop!! We were originally just going to "stir up" the shavings and poop, but ultimately decided to remove it all and spread out fresh shavings and a healthy sprinkling of Sweet PDZ. We then removed the board that was covering the nesting boxes, and put the laying mats in the boxes along with some fake eggs. I know the girls still have a few weeks before they start laying, be we wanted them to feel comfortable with the nesting boxes before then.

The last thing we need to tomorrow is to add a slanted roof over the nesting boxes. We built the boxes with a flat roof on it thinking that we don't get much rain, so it would be fine. Turns out we were wrong. The last rain we got, puddled on top of the boxes and started to warp the wood, then it leaked inside and soaked a portion of the coop and the nesting boxes. The plan tomorrow is to add a small slanted roof on top of the boxes, put tar paper on that and then place shingles. We have all of the materials left over from a large shed we recently built, so we should be able to complete the built in an hour or so.
Welcome to BYC, glad you found the roo a home.

It’s far too early to put your girls on layer feed yet. The extra calcium at this stage is not good for them and you should continue the chick food until you see red combs and they’re closer to laying age, which is roughly six months. Even with layer feed at that stage it’s a good idea to provide oyster shell as well.

It looks like we will have to start transitioning them to the layer crumble in a couple of weeks
You don't need the layer feed. Most layer feeds are low in protein and the hens can't not eat calcium when their bodies don't need it. I and many members here much prefer to feed a higher protein all flock type food like Flock Raiser. You can even keep them on the starter grower crumble as long as it's got 18 to 20% protein. Just put out a container or two of oyster shells and they'll be set for life.
We then cut a couple lengths of 2x4 and hung them in the run to make some perch swings. None of the girls have jumped up on one yet
That's because perch swings are rarely enjoyed by chickens. A stationary, STABLE perch would be much more appreciated.

You don't need the layer feed. Most layer feeds are low in protein and the hens can't not eat calcium when their bodies don't need it. I and many members here much prefer to feed a higher protein all flock type food like Flock Raiser. You can even keep them on the starter grower crumble as long as it's got 18 to 20% protein. Just put out a container or two of oyster shells and they'll be set for life.

That's because perch swings are rarely enjoyed by chickens. A stationary, STABLE perch would be much more appreciated.
Thanks for the info. We went ahead and got another 100lbs of Starter crumble, 50lbs of Layer crumble, and 50lbs of scratch. We actually purchased all of this before seeing your reply. We will ultimately go with All Flock and oyster shell but will give them the layer feed we already have once they start laying and then switch to the all flock.

As for the perch swings, I haven't done anything with them yet, but am planning on making them stationary instead of swings.

Now for new pics of many of the girls. Confirmation on genders and breeds would be great! I am pretty are they are all pullets and are the breeds listed below, but always nice to have confirmation as a new chicken keeper.

Easter Egger

20230114_122420.jpg

Production Red

20230114_122131.jpg
20230114_122137.jpg

Sapphire Gem

20230114_122245.jpg
20230114_122230.jpg
20230114_122344.jpg

Barred Rock

20230108_150140.jpg
20230114_122211.jpg

Silver Laced Wyandotte

20230114_122151.jpg
20230114_122338.jpg

20230108_150205.jpg

Attachments

• 20230108_150700.jpg
    20230108_150700.jpg
    720.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Well, I am facing a potential change in directions, in a BIG way. So my chickens and coop are not located @ my home as I live in an HOA area that does not allow them. Instead, they are in my brothers backyard, sort of a team effort. He lives on ~2 acres and was nearly as excited about keeping chickens and the fresh eggs as me.

This last weekend while I was at his home, spending time with family and the pullets, he told me he wants to get more chickens. He would like to get another ~30 chickens. Our current coop is barely large enough for our current flock and NOWHERE near big enough for 30 more birds. Now we are trying to design a coop and enclosed run large enough for 30+ birds, without breaking the bank, and looks professional.

I am thinking an 8'x16' lean-to style coop with only 3 walls, attached to a 16'x40' enclosed run. I am also thinking 12 nest boxes, six on either end of the coop, with 2 or 3 16" roost bars. It looks like the lumber for the coop would cost ~$1000 which is doable. My concern is the run. I am having trouble coming up with an inexpensive plan to build and secure the run. That much hardware cloth would cost a FORTUNE, but we want to make sure it is completely secure from predators, including mice (as much as possible).

Back
Top Bottom