New to chickens . . . new to forums . . . coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LoupGarou, Oct 15, 2008.

1. LoupGarou

LoupGarou Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    I have been thinking of buying this coop for some Buff Orpington hens and a rooster. I would use a 10 x 10 dog pen for security and to give them some room to roam and scratch. I live in Mississippi. Does that kind of set up sound all right for a small backyard flock? Does this coop look as if it would provide enough ventilation for Mississippi summers?

Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELUXE-Chicken-...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

LOL had to edit to add the link. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  2. derby

derby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Boonsboro, MD
    It's cute and affordable. BUT - I think it's too small for 5/6 large birds. Maybe you could have a couple of banties.

Derby

3. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    you could squeeze 4 in there but i wouldnt do any more than that.

4. Dottie Pratt

Dottie Pratt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Arkansas
    The coop is cute.

Just wanted to say Hello.[​IMG]

Your gonna love this place. Lots of good advice and friendly folks too.[​IMG]

Dottie

5. LoupGarou

LoupGarou Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Thanks everyone! I don't really want a big flock, anyway, so I'm willing to reduce it. But if it looks as if it's safe and easy to clean, that's a big plus for me.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Welcome to BYC. I think that coop needs more ventilation for summers in the south, but it's cute. It wont hold many birds, though.

7. djackjr

djackjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Graham Wa.
    I thought I was going to start out with a small flock, now that I have read some..I think its expanding fast!! and I have not even gotten any chicks yet or redid the shed into a coop!!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by