New to Chickens!

Kindra

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2017
After caring for some chickens for someone out of town I decided I'd love to have some of my own! I don't trust store bought eggs, anyhow. In April, after much research(large amounts from this site), I picked up 8 chicks. 2 of each of the following: Speckled Sussex, Australorp, Plymouth Barred Rock, and Ameraucana. They were all supposed to be pullets, but I ended up with two roosters. I rehomed one(a Plymouth) to a wonderful place to be spoiled, but recently discovered one of my Speckled Sussex is also a boy. I'm crushed because I selected those as my favorites and had to hunt for them.
The rest of my flock is about 3 mos old and it's been fun learning their personalities and how smart some of then are. It's good for my 9 year old son as he helps care for them and even my husband, who gave me the "you must be nuts" look when I said I wanted chickens, enjoys them a lot.

We also have horses, Border Collies(we play with sheep sometimes), and some felines who are surprisingly not interested in the birds.
IMG_20170624_163231779.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170517_173207013.jpg
    IMG_20170517_173207013.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 2
Welcome to BYC....sorry about the mis-sexed chicks, unfortunately the serving is complicated and even experienced sexers are only 85-90% successful. It's always the favorite, too, the ultimate betrayal.

Back
Top Bottom