New to chickens?

Ok another question.... what goes into buying chicks online? I was looking on one of the chickens for backyards sites listed below and I'm curious as to if this would be any different than buying locally? How are they delivered?

If you buy online, you need to get a certain number of chicks. It depends on the time of year and the hatchery as to the minimum. They need each other to stay warm while traveling. They ship them USPS and you get a call from the post office the morning they arrive, so that you can rush there to get them. I should be ashamed, but am not, that I did the 6am drive to my post office in my bunny slippers. I was so excited that I never noticed, but the post mistress complimented me on them.

My last batch I hatched myself. And just because I can, here are a few of the babies:

I

I kinda liked that on one of the sites you could mix and match and pick the breeds and decide if you wanted males or females haha. I don't think my feed stores will have nearly as much of a variety.

Also on the seasons thing, I figured if I got them in March or April, by the time I'm able to put them outside age wise it'll be warm again.

Now that you are looking at chicks, as soon as you start making your list you're already needing a bigger coop than you thought.
tongue.png

Ah one thing is driving me crazy... what do I feed them once they are in the coop? I was looking on tractor supply and it showed scratch and pellets... do I get both? Or what...

I got my chicks from a hatchery since there is so many choices! Idk if you want bantams but I got mine from My Pet Chicken so I could get female bantam chicks. Only place I know that has female bantam chicks. Already ordered chicks for April! :D

Back
Top Bottom