NEW TO CHICKS....HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS (FOOD, WATER, ETC.)

Where's the ?
hu.gif

Ok, I don't have my chicks yet, but I want to be sure that I know what I am doing before they arrive. (My current hens were 4 months old when I got them).

I bought some medicated starter feed.
How long do the chicks stay on this before moving them up to the grower feed?

Also I thought I read somewhere about putting Vitamins & electrolytes in the chicks water? Is this suggested or do most people just give regular water?

One more question, I have noticed that when you buy chicks from hatcheries many of them are vaccinated. If you hatch your own, do you vaccinate them with something?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks Lisa

Last edited:
If you got a starter only starter, 6 weeks is a good time. However, most feeds are a start/grow forumulation, here at least, so feed that from day one till 16 weeks old or so.

I do not use vits and electrolites. I only recomend those for the first day after chicks are shipped or if the birds are sick.

Chicks do not have to be vaccinated and if they are from hatcheries, you have to request vaccination. However, they do not reccomend vaccinations for small flock owners.

If you do get a vaccine, it is more stress on the birds, and your future birds should be vaccinated. Why, I am not too fluenty with the mericks vaccine so can't comment much other than you are supposted to make sure all birds in the future are vaccinated. They are carriers for life and the vaccine is a live vaccine. If you get the cocci vaccine, you must not use medicated feed as it will nullify the vaccine.

Good luck!

We feed non-medicated starter. If you bought a big bag, just feed it until it's gone, then you can go to grower. Stay on the grower until they begin to lay, then switch over to a laying feed.

We don't vaccinate, and as I said, we don't use medicated feed.

The most "supplement" we ever give is sugar water, and only to shipped babies, and only if they are weak.

Back
Top Bottom