New to chicks

I have about one acre...the chicken coop is from the previous owner, which we are going to clean thoroughly.

Start a thread in the coop section with photos and intentions and we'll help you fine-tune your setup.

It's great to have something to work with instead of having to build from scratch. :D

Any egg color is fine.

If you read through breed descriptions and don't have any strong preferences you might try some assortments for the first year to get an idea of which ones appeal to you.

I have about one acre...the chicken coop is from the previous owner, which we are going to clean thoroughly. Any egg color is fine. I have heard about Ideal hatchery.. we are about an hour and a half away..But I'll probably order and get them shipped. Thanks for the help @3KillerBs and @Bonkerelli !
No problem and anytime!

First. @3KillerBs is your friend. You should follow their posts - very good advice. I "second" everything they just said.

Second (haha - ok, it wan't that funny), look for breeds suited to the TX conditions - a lot of birds aren't. Which isn't to say that you can't raise them in TX, just that it may require more effort, and offer more heartache.
You want clean legs, tall single combs, and light feathering. The Silger/Gold Laced Wyandotte is not your friend. (also, it lays no sooner than average, produces a medium-ish egg, and doesn't do so frequently). The Brahma? Well, the Wyandottes were developed to improve on the Brahma.

CX? Great meat bird. Brittle - it has not been designed for extremes. LOUSY egg bird. Best avoided.

You want clean legs, tall single combs, and should lean into a Mediterannean (spelling?) rather than northern European or New England Background. A LOT of breeds come to us by way of France, England, Spain, New Hampshire, Rhode Island - they aren't built for heat. They can do well, but its easier if you select for birds from warmer, wetter, climates. Sadly, they don't tend to be meaty, but that's not your interest anyways.

Ideal has good reputation, and benefits from being local. You may wish to look into their version of "Ranger", its a meatier bird intended to be less sedate than many egg layers, and to do well fending for itself. At the cost of fewer eggs.

Finally, I understand you "inherited" a coop. We've seen a lot of well meaning, but utterly ignorant, coops on BYC. PICTURES! TX is hot. If you are by the coast, its humid. Chickens can't sweat, and they can't take off their down coats. The best coops in TX, the best coops FOR TX, have a LOT of ventilation and often several open sides - not like the Amish style coops popular in PA and with people who don't know any better. Different climate, different needs.

Oh, I left TX (East of Austin) about three years back. Its "different" there. I have some appreciation for the climate challenges you, and your birds, are about to face.

Back
Top Bottom