New to chicks

kmplatt94

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2022
Indianapolis, IN
I’m new to chickens/chicks. I got my brooder, heat plate, feeder/water, cedar chips & someone is building my coop. I’ve been reading up on chicks/chickens. I’ll be picking up my 11 baby chicks on March 26th. I chose all different variety of hens. What kind of baby chick food do I need to get? I want to be prepared. I’m really excited for my new adventure of chickens

Welcome to this new chickentastic world!:jumpy Which breeds did you choose?
As a bedding, never use cedar since it's toxic to chickens.
For the feed, use a 20% protein. If your chicks are vaccinated against coccidiosis don't use medicated feed.
If your chicks aren't vaccinated, you can choose to use medicated or non-medicated. The medicated one it's recommended since it can help your chicks not getting coccidiosis.
I'm sorry I can't help with brands of feed since I don't live in the US, but I hope I gave you some helpful advices.

Welcome to this new chickentastic world!:jumpy Which breeds did you choose?
As a bedding, never use cedar since it's toxic to chickens.
For the feed, use a 20% protein. If your chicks are vaccinated against coccidiosis don't use medicated feed.
If your chicks aren't vaccinated, you can choose to use medicated or non-medicated. The medicated one it's recommended since it can help your chicks not getting coccidiosis.
I'm sorry I can't help with brands of feed since I don't live in the US, but I hope I gave you some helpful advices.
Oops… I’m getting 12 chicks.🐓🐓
Blk copper mar
Blk laced red Wyandotte
Blue laced red Wyandotte
Buckeye
Buff Brahma
Buff orp
Cream legbar
Red Orpington
Silver laced Wyandotte
Splash lace red wyan
Splash maran
Speckled Sussex

Pretty much any feed labeled starter/chick starter is appropriate to start. Main thing to avoid is IF the chicks are vaccinated for coccidiosis, to not use medicated feed as it will kill the vaccine.

Back
Top Bottom