New to collecting fertilized eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jbowyer01, Feb 9, 2009.

1. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I hope this is the correct place to post this but I need an answer to an egg question. I just started collecting eggs from my hens on a regular basis. My little roo is doing his job so I need to know how to keep the eggs. I'd like to give a few to a friend to incubate but I wont see her until the weekend. Do I refrigerate them? or do they stay room temp? I know its a silly question but I tried using the search section and cant seem to find an answer.

2. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Store them at room temperature ( a basement is great) in egg cartons. Be sure to place the small end down, and gently rotate the eggs each day. The rotation does not need to be much, just a few degrees of difference each day. If your friend transports the eggs a long way, allow them to settle for a day before placing them in the incubator. Good luck!

3. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    jhm47 thanks I appreciate it

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    To rotate the eggs, you can just prop up one end of the carton on a small block or something, then switch ends every day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by