New to Ducklings! Help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChickenKid11, Mar 9, 2013.

1. ChickenKid11

ChickenKid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    In April I will be getting 2 ducklings..... I know nothing about duckling care! Please help!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

Glad you're asking before they arrive.

Here is a quick list of resources:

Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks
    The Ultimate Pet Duck Guidebook
    Stickies on the Duck Forum
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings

Please let us know what questions you have after going over the last item, and perhaps also the Stickies.

The books are a big, big help, too. But they don't answer every possible question.

3. ChickenKid11

ChickenKid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    How about the feed? It said starter, is that waterfowl starter or regular chicken starter??

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If you can get waterfowl starter, that's best. I could only get turkey-waterfowl, and the protein % was higher than recommended in Storey's Guide, so, following SG, I added one part oats to four parts crumbles (so glad I was awake during algebra class).

If all you can get is chick starter, then you probably want to add either a sprinkle of brewer's yeast on top of their food, or 100 mg of niacin per gallon of water, since ducklings need three times the niacin chicks do, and people who don't realize that often have duckling leg or nervous system problems till they can supplement the niacin.

I gave my ducklings a little gro-gel their first week, also, and keep poultry vitamins-electrolytes-probiotics mix handy for times of stress or illness or injury.

5. rubberduckies

rubberduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    Kentucky
    I use nutrena nature wise starter. It's unmedicated with 18% protein. If that's helpful...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by