New to ducks - Have questions - Advise welcome

trailrider330

Crowing
9 Years
Aug 4, 2013
Midwest America
So, we have had chickens for a number of years and now our family would like to get some ducks. But, I have some questions before we get started. Thank you for your responses in advance.

1.) I plan to convert an old 12'x12' chicken coop into my duck coop. The coop has a dirt floor. I'm wondering what would be the ideal way to handle flooring material/bedding. I've always been partial to shavings, but with ducks being ducks, I feel like I may need to add something between the dirt and shavings. I was thinking about bringing in about 2" of pea gravel and covering that with another 2" of dried sand to assist with drainage. After that, I am planning to add shavings, but will likely go with straw for their nesting area (unless shavings work well for that as well). Does this sound like a good plan? Is it too much? Too little? Please keep in mind that I am in Michigan so the winter climate will also be a factor and likely cause me to house some food and water in the coop during the winter months.

2.) When housing food and water in the coop, I plan on making a removable pit over which I will place a hardware cloth screen with the feed and water on top of the screen. I'm hoping any dropped feed or splashed water will then end up in the removable pit, instead of on the coop floor. I am also planning on making my own no mess waterer out of a 5 gallon bucket, as well as either a 4" PVC or trough-style feeder. Any thoughts or suggestions?

3.) Is it generally okay to mix the size of your ducks? For example lighter weight breeds with heavier breeds though I am assuming one would want to avoid a heavy weight drake in with lighter ducks?

4.) If our ducks have a swimming area within their run, do we have to worry about them getting into our pool if we let them free-range? (It's one of those temporary, above ground, 4' high pools.)

5.) What should we plan on for noise level? We would likely get about 10 ducklings and the coop is about 100 yards away from the house.

6.) What are your favorite duck breeds? What would you recommend? We love social, family friendly breeds. We also love a variety of colors, both in our ducks and in our egg basket.

Any other information you want to provide would also be appreciated.

So, we have had chickens for a number of years and now our family would like to get some ducks. But, I have some questions before we get started. Thank you for your responses in advance.

1.) I plan to convert an old 12'x12' chicken coop into my duck coop. The coop has a dirt floor. I'm wondering what would be the ideal way to handle flooring material/bedding. I've always been partial to shavings, but with ducks being ducks, I feel like I may need to add something between the dirt and shavings. I was thinking about bringing in about 2" of pea gravel and covering that with another 2" of dried sand to assist with drainage. After that, I am planning to add shavings, but will likely go with straw for their nesting area (unless shavings work well for that as well). Does this sound like a good plan? Is it too much? Too little? Please keep in mind that I am in Michigan so the winter climate will also be a factor and likely cause me to house some food and water in the coop during the winter months.

2.) When housing food and water in the coop, I plan on making a removable pit over which I will place a hardware cloth screen with the feed and water on top of the screen. I'm hoping any dropped feed or splashed water will then end up in the removable pit, instead of on the coop floor. I am also planning on making my own no mess waterer out of a 5 gallon bucket, as well as either a 4" PVC or trough-style feeder. Any thoughts or suggestions?

3.) Is it generally okay to mix the size of your ducks? For example lighter weight breeds with heavier breeds though I am assuming one would want to avoid a heavy weight drake in with lighter ducks?

4.) If our ducks have a swimming area within their run, do we have to worry about them getting into our pool if we let them free-range? (It's one of those temporary, above ground, 4' high pools.)

5.) What should we plan on for noise level? We would likely get about 10 ducklings and the coop is about 100 yards away from the house.

6.) What are your favorite duck breeds? What would you recommend? We love social, family friendly breeds. We also love a variety of colors, both in our ducks and in our egg basket.

Any other information you want to provide would also be appreciated.

1. I have a dirt floor for my goose coop, I think you will be fine as long as the water doesn't drain towards the coop, If it does I would recommend raising it with some type of material. Since its a dirt floor you will also have to take extra precautions predator-proof wise, I have hardware cloth pinned down on the outside so they can't dig underneath. I use straw for my coop, but shaving work great too, straw is just cheaper around here that's why i use it.

2. Sounds like a good idea to me,

3. Depends on your setup, Many people will say you cant others will say otherwise, If you have a large coop/run/yard you will most likely be fine, I raise various size birds together from Pekin to call's with no problems, you will have problems if the birds are confined in close-quarters though.

4. Ducks will find every water source in your yard and make a mess of it, they will be in your pool the second you let them out, you will have to fence the pool off from them.

5. Depends on the breed, Pekins and Calls are the loudest and the quietest being Muscovy, Harlequin, Buff and a few more. Plan on them making some noise, ducks are going to talk no matter the breed. Mine can be heard quite far away so you would have to discuss the noise level with your neighbors. Most likely the noise level should be fine 100 yards away.

6. Calls, Indian Runner's, Rouens, East Indie, Saxony, Buff are some of my favorites, although I haven't had a duck breed let me down so far, My favorites being bantam ducks, but that doesn't sound best for your situation given they can be quite loud at times.

I have a note about sand over pea gravel. I added sand on top of my pea gravel when my first duck got bumblefoot. I was worried it was from the gravel, which I think it was not. Now I am removing sand and going back to very deep pea gravel around the little pond in my run. The sand does not drain, so either you're constantly picking up poop and sand and replacing new sand, or if you spray it down the poop turns into a wet muddy mess on top of the sand, which the ducks will play in. And it stinks! I think really deep pea gravel might be best? I have shavings or straw in the other half of my run and the problem with that is that the shavings get drug onto the pea gravel making a complete mess. But they like to lay in the shavings. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom