New to ducks * Picture Added *

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lovable Chicks, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I received a duck today and was looking for information. I don't even know what kind of duck this baby is. I will need to upload a picture later but quick description is that it is brown and white with white/tan feet. Has blue eyes and a white beak??

I need lots of education.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
  3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It sounds to me like you may have a crossbred duckling- being brown and white- ( do you mean yellow ) with a white beak sounds an odd combination for some of the more popular breeds. A photo would really help a long way- even ifs its actually a wild duckling- there are people on here that keep ornamentals and could ID your baby in a flash.

You can find a heap of information by searching - or haivng a look at the stickies at the top of the page- but of course...there are a heap of members on hear ready to help out with advise and help with caring for your little one.

By the sounds of it- it wasnt planned to get a duck- was it a rescue?? Making sure it has at least a fluffy toy or a mirror will help it not feel quite so lonely being on its own.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    ditto duckyfromoz.

Welcome to Duckdom!

5. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Here is a picture...

[​IMG]

I didn't have plans for a duck and actually found it a new home already just to find out my granddaughter wanted to keep it so think ducks may be in my future.

6. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    What a beauty!!! White feet? Really? [​IMG]

7. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    WOW! That is such a cool looking duck! Will be anxious to read if someone knows what breed he/she is. Adorable.

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It's a muscovie [​IMG] I think Chocolate pied is what they call that color pattern.

9. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    It is lovely. I have a duck that is chocolate all over. I was so surprised when it hatched because it came from a flock of cayuga and pekin.

10. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    What a gorgeous duck!! Older that I envisaged from your first post- I hadnt thought about a muscovy from what you described - but now seeing the little cutie makes it clearer. Now you cant go breaking your granddaughters heart especially when he is so cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by