New to ducks!!

Jenessa_09

Songster
May 1, 2021
Molalla, Oregon
Hi guys, I am new here on BYC and a new duck owner! We have two khaki Campbell ducklings along with our nine chicks. I have a few questions that I thought I would post! First of all, do ducks lay all through the year?? And if so do they hatch ducklings every year; in the winter; how do I know my duck got broody, and do ducks sleep in the floor? I have attached some pictures of the two( we think one is a female the othe male based on the sounds they make if you guys have any advice in that) added picture just for cuteness! 😂❤️🤷🏼‍♀️
P.S. these photos were taken about a week or two ago they grow really fast!!!

Attachments

• 4C88BE6A-54B1-4140-84C7-EBC22C52ED37.jpeg
    4C88BE6A-54B1-4140-84C7-EBC22C52ED37.jpeg
    841.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 1C0FF95B-607A-4C5B-A64F-0A4A87E8E83E.jpeg
    1C0FF95B-607A-4C5B-A64F-0A4A87E8E83E.jpeg
    532 KB · Views: 10
Hi guys, I am new here on BYC and a new duck owner! We have two khaki Campbell ducklings along with our nine chicks. I have a few questions that I thought I would post! First of all, do ducks lay all through the year?? And if so do they hatch ducklings every year; in the winter; how do I know my duck got broody, and do ducks sleep in the floor? I have attached some pictures of the two( we think one is a female the othe male based on the sounds they make if you guys have any advice in that) added picture just for cuteness! 😂❤️🤷🏼‍♀️
Welcome to BYC! Your ducklings are adorable.

One of my six ducks layed eggs all year the first year, two slowed way down, and three took the winter off. The second year four ducks took the winter off and two slowed production way down. After that everyone has taken the winter off. I'm cool with that. I think their bodies need a break.

I don't have males so I have never hatched. My ducks have still gone broody, though. They accumulate 8+ eggs in a nest, put their feathers in it, and stay on it all day. They won't come out when I call them. They don't go swimming. If I try to offer them their favorite snack they will hiss at me - when usually they are very friendly to me.

My ducks sleep on the floor of their barn. They have about 6 inches of straw on the floor that they sleep on. It is very comfy.

I think they might be too young to tell the genders. Mine were late quackers though. You could make a video of their voices, upload it to YouTube and post it here.

Welcome to BYC! Your ducklings are adorable.

One of my six ducks layed eggs all year the first year, two slowed way down, and three took the winter off. The second year four ducks took the winter off and two slowed production way down. After that everyone has taken the winter off. I'm cool with that. I think their bodies need a break.

I don't have males so I have never hatched. My ducks have still gone broody, though. They accumulate 8+ eggs in a nest, put their feathers in it, and stay on it all day. They won't come out when I call them. They don't go swimming. If I try to offer them their favorite snack they will hiss at me - when usually they are very friendly to me.

My ducks sleep on the floor of their barn. They have about 6 inches of straw on the floor that they sleep on. It is very comfy.

I think they might be too young to tell the genders. Mine were late quackers though. You could make a video of their voices, upload it to YouTube and post it here.
Thanks, and also I am starting to hear a difference in their voices the bigger one seems to have a more deeper voice while the smaller one seems to have a high duckling voice. Idk but thanks for the advice! 😊

Hi, as far as I know most if not all domestic ducks lay all through the year. All 7 of my females lay year round stopping for a few weeks here and there. khaki Campbell ducks lay about 300 eggs a year. If your female is anything like my females, you will definitely know if or when it goes broody. she will march around and Quacking when ever anyone goes near she even me. any other time of year she the sweetest thing, loves to snuggle and sits on my lap.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your ducklings, they are adorable! And welcome to BYC.
Ducks CAN lay all year, but usually slow down in the winter. And the frequency of how many eggs per week varies by breed.
Yes, ducks sleep on the floor. I just provide some straw in their coop and they're content to snuggle down in it each night.
Have you looked on youtube to hear the difference between male and female noises? It's pretty distinct, but I'm not sure how early the ducklings start making them.

Back
Top Bottom