New to ducks

Here it is:

* Brewer's yeast ( nutritional yeast is similar and probably just as good, but it hasn't been tested as thoroughly) added to the feed, a few tablespoons at a time (dosage is not critical).
* Game bird feed mixed 50/50 with the chick starter. It contains higher niacin, but also higher protein. Mixing the two lowers the protein to acceptable levels while raising the niacin to good levels. This is how I raise my ducklings, successful every time (couple hundred babies raised this way). It's easiest for me, but other methods may be easier for you depending on your circumstances.
* Pharmacy gel caps of niacin, should be cheap if you buy the store brand, but it's harder and harder to find it without the "flush-free" additives or the "time release" capsules. I've used time release just fine and not had any troubles, but only for a few batches, so I can't vouch for it 100%. Mix the powder from a 100 mg capsule in one gallon of water. Make this the ducks' only source of water. (Don't overdose).
* Feed a waterfowl-formulated feed such as Purina Flock Raiser (not ALL Purina starter formulas are adequate, ONLY this one), or Mazuri waterfowl starter (not widely available). Most starter feeds are labeled for ducks as well as chicks--that does NOT mean they have adequate niacin. I learned this the hard way, following bad advice I was given, and ended up with a bunch of shaky-legged birds in one batch. Luckily, adding extra niacin to their diet corrected the problem quickly.

And thanks for the compliment on the article. I'm pretty proud of that one--my first and, so far, only national title. But hopefully not the last!

Is the gamebird starter for quail & pheasants and such? If so, then the answer is yes--it will have the higher niacin and when mixed with the chick starter will provide a balanced duckling diet.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom