New to Ducks

jadedcupcake

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 18, 2013
Hello!

I got gifted 2 ducklings in March of this year. I always wanted some ducks. I believe they are buff ducks, they are Jerkfaces and run away from me. I still love them and find them adorable. I think I might have a girl and a boy. I notice the one who I believe is female Loki hisses at things when she doesn't like them. The one who I believe is a boy Donnie just bites what he doesn't like.

Anyway How do you get your ducks to like you?

Loki has the Pinkish/Purple beak
Donnie is the yellow/orange beak

The day I got them

Getting bigger

This question seems to come up a lot. As far as I can tell, they either like you or they don't. My original theory was if I got ducklings, they would imprint and follow me. It worked for the Rouens I had and one set of Pekins. However, this year, the Pekins don't want anyone getting near them. They don't bite, and I can get them to go into their pen at night, but they definately are not imprinted on me. They don't follow me or anything. I suppose it's like any animals other than maybe dogs, the animal either likes you or doesn't. If you aren't mean to them, and you don't sound like you are, it's just the ducks.

I've found that if you start to treat them whenever you see them they will like you more, mostly because they expect food. Teaching hand feeding is a must with ducks/ducklings. I didn't do it with my first two and they aren't mean and they have never hissed at me but they refuse to come near me unless I sit and wait for half an hour. If treats don't work then sit with them for 30 minutes to an hour every day until they get used to you. It usually helps out.

Last edited:
I've found that if you start to treat them whenever you see them they will like you more, mostly because they expect food. Teaching hand feeding is a must with ducks/ducklings. I didn't do it with my first two and they aren't mean and they have never hissed at me but they refuse to come near me unless I sit and wait for half an hour. If treats don't work then sit with them for 30 minutes to an hour every day until they get used to you. It usually helps out.
How did you teach them hand feeding? I have started to offer some treats to my ducks this way, but they are pretty skeptical...

Prinette: Then the illusion that the ducks like you is what one is going for?
At this point, with the ducks I got at an older age, it seems to be as good as I can get. My little Khakis will snuggle up and fall asleep with me on the deck while the mallards roam around and accept that I'm there. They have slowly started warming up but I have to spend an hour or so with them a day to get them to come around me. Introducing them to the Khakis has made a huge difference though. They have started to eat from my hand and let me pet them without too much fuss.

Last edited:
That's fine. I have no objection to creating the illusion that something likes you, as long as you know it's an illusion. I know my dog loves me because I have the food—that's okay, she's cute and makes me laugh, so why she likes me doesn't matter. My ducks really aren't pets. I'm happy if they just "herd" to where I want them to be and don't bite or act aggressive. Whatever works!

Try sitting in the pen with them - snack bowl nearby.
Let them eat from it without doing anything but verbally reassuring them.

Depending on how easily they drop their guard and eat you can gauge when to move the bowl closer and finally have it held in your hand and offer it to them.
Once they are comfortable with this moving on to hand feeding will be a breeze :)

It might take minutes before progress occurs - or it could take days and weeks.
Either way be calm, slow moving and stay low - some ducks (especially ducks in the teen stages can get freaked out by us giants!)

Once one duck figures you for ok the others will start to come round too.

Stick with it - you can't beat ducky love :)

^ That's much better than I could have worded it, for sure! I'm actually going to implement the reassuring talk with my own guys, never really thought of that before.

Last edited:
Good point Prinette! Absolutely use the favourite treat :)
Mine won't touch tomatoes though - they don't like anything red and aren't keen on orange stuff either!

They'll eat their greens, but like their dad; my girls are carnivorous at heart :)
They put me to shame in fact - I mean I like my steak rare but they have to have it wriggling!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom