Honestly you guys have given such great gentle advice. We don’t have goats yet but how fun!!! We found two families to take two of our boys, why wait until there’s more trouble. I’m hoping the two roosters we are keeping will get along, they are my girls two favorites but now I’m worried I might be giving away one of the sweet ones. Who knows what they’d be like given some power lol. At least the two I’m keeping get along together and are nice to the hens. Coconut is a wheaten frizzled satin, and Spot is a blue silkie with silver leakage. I hope they’ll make their new flicks of 5 hens each very proud. (I selected to post pictures as thumbnails. Should I have picked Full Image?) thanks everyone for the warm welcomes too!
That's very interesting...each cockerel with 5 hens/pullets. How will that work out? Will they have separate pens? I have 8 hens, 2 pullets and 2 cockerels, and I'm wondering how it will work out in the long run. They are only 3 months old now, and still only with the 2 pullets in a separate coop and run. Soon I will integrate all of them, I just need the time for watching them when I do it. Knowing how it works for you might help me figure it all out.

As I understand it, the rooster will help protect the flock of 5 hens, they shouldn’t have too many issues, plenty of ladies for him and room to roam. In my own coop all my chickens are Silkies and Satins so they’re a very docile breed. Having two cockerels shouldn’t be trouble according to my breeder. We have multiple feeders and I plan on adding more hens to increase the ratio. Let’s hope anyway. I love when I let them out to free range the cockerels communicate to the hens when to come back in and if they’ve found yummy food, they’re always talking. It’s so cute.

Back
Top Bottom