new to forum, and new to incubating

LeoneB

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 28, 2014
Well, I am on day 17 of my first ever attempt at incubating eggs - so very excited.
I have a mixed batch of eggs, and to be honest, I don't really know what type of chickens they are (I was told, but I have forgotten - oops)
I initially put in 16 eggs, there is one for certain that has nothing in it, and maybe another 2 0r 3 which I am not sure of - I have decided to leave those in the incubator for now (they are all numbered, so I will know if they are the ones that don't hatch). I have candled all of the eggs, and all (bar the few I mentioned) have moving embryos in them. I have to stop myself from candling them multiple times a day..lol
So - lock down tomorrow.. and only a few days until hopefully we see some results.

cheers
Leone

welcome-byc.gif
and good luck with your hatch.
smile.png

Well, I am on day 17 of my first ever attempt at incubating eggs - so very excited.
I have a mixed batch of eggs, and to be honest, I don't really know what type of chickens they are (I was told, but I have forgotten - oops)
I initially put in 16 eggs, there is one for certain that has nothing in it, and maybe another 2 0r 3 which I am not sure of - I have decided to leave those in the incubator for now (they are all numbered, so I will know if they are the ones that don't hatch). I have candled all of the eggs, and all (bar the few I mentioned) have moving embryos in them. I have to stop myself from candling them multiple times a day..lol
So - lock down tomorrow.. and only a few days until hopefully we see some results.

cheers
Leone
welcome-byc.gif

Be careful...hatching is so very addictive!!!! I typically leave questionable eggs in the bator also, I will remove clears on day 10 tho, those are pretty obvious, leaves more room for the other eggs. But that being said, my first time incubating I had a hard time deciding what was good or not.. As time goes on you will be able to spot a quitter or a dud pretty easily ..

I currently am on day 5 of 55 barnyard mixes in my still air incubator... All these little ones that hatch are already sold but I have a broody on day 4 out in the coop so I still get to see the little fuzzy butts (hopefully)

Good luck on your hatch and remember...we require pictures!!!
smile.png

thanks for the welcomes etc
I do have a question.. I have just woken up and it is day 18 - lock down day :)
my question is, do I roll my eggs (as normal) fill up the water etc and lock down this morning, or do we go about our normal daily routine and lock down tonight? or does it matter?

thanks for the welcomes etc
I do have a question.. I have just woken up and it is day 18 - lock down day :)
my question is, do I roll my eggs (as normal) fill up the water etc and lock down this morning, or do we go about our normal daily routine and lock down tonight? or does it matter?
You could stop turning now.. I candle and make sure the lowest part of the airsack is facing up ...as for humidity, I don't fill the water trays but that's me, maybe someone else can help you there

well, on day 22 this is what I am staring at frequently - wishing something to happen.. I see an egg wiggle sometimes (or imagine I do) and I am pretty sure I heard a cheep about half hour ago.. fingers crossed, there will be some pipping soon.

well, not 5 minutes after I posted these pics, hubby came home and I went to show him that nothing was happening, and this is what I found :)

I'm going try incubating some of my chickens eggs, i all ready have chicken fever don't know what hatching going to do

Back
Top Bottom