New to geese, how to care for broody goose - need help please

Hey @sonshine15 :frow it can take a few days for all to hatch so just let her be for now. put food and water close by so she can drink and nibble if she wants and the goslings as they hatch can find it easy. Just make sure they can't climb into any water source and chill or drown. Congrats!!

Hi Miss Lydia!!! It's been a long time!! So good to see you:)
Thank you. I had account issues to boot trying to ask questions!
Yes, she's been on them without getting off now day 5. It's really hot so I've been holding water for her within reach. Then a small container and feed for the baby. A soaker hose on a towel on top of coop to keep them cool etc. The baby decided to stay with the momma on the bottom. She's still getting off her nest etc. I just dont want the girl on the top shelf to go too long without leaving. Is day 5 too long? No others have hatched yet. Hopefully today. This was really unexpected. I have no idea how long the eggs were there before they sat.
Odd but the geese began laying in February or March and never stopped! Eggs coming out our ears from the 3........
Thank you:)

I will candle them this evening. With two girls going I separated them from each other a couple weeks ago when they were side by side. I can see I still have issues lol. Unsure of the dates and....... The eggs are mixed up. I divided them between them:hmm
I may take the eggs furthest along and put under the determined Momma if they look to be ready to hatch.

I did two staggered bator hatches April, took them 35 days to hatch....(I was worn out lol) looked up and had broodys afterwards.... Maybe the babies peeps kicked the broody in....
Good thing I love geese.... Theyre abundant in number and age...:yesss:

Those eggs are at least another week and a half from hatching.....that means two babies hatched. I found one under the timothy hay:( I am not getting how two hatched and the others are so far apart.........it took the bator ones 35, 36 and 37 days to hatch. Wont do that again lol. I'll watch for the broodies to come off. If they don't I'll take the eggs away.
Hugs and thanks!

When I candled, the eggs were so far from hatching. Not sure if I should put one broody on and take the one with the baby off. If one is getting off the nest and eating she's still doing a lot of work on her body

How many eggs is there left to hatch? Might be a good idea to take the eggs away from the one who has a gosling just so she'll get up and care for it. Then the other one can finish hatching.

Lets see if @Iain Utah Is on she hatches a lot more than I maybe she can give some advise.

Hi. This is going to put them on the eggs for 6 weeks vs almost 5. And completely away if the broody loses more weight. She stopped getting off her nest when this baby hatched, baby went to other broody.........she then began getting off again to eat, swim and so forth.
I will take the eggs from the broody with the baby today and leave only the closest to hatch eggs under the real momma. Funny how they don't care who the momma is as long as the baby is ok LOL. The baby doesn't care either, back and forth but stays with the other broody the most. What a journey! Our fence that's taken a year.......will be complete in less than two weeks now. I'll be able to turn them all out into a much larger area! It sure is fun watching them all:)

Back
Top Bottom