New to geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by kelidei, Mar 29, 2012.

1. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I have a one week old Toulouse gosling pair... How old will they be when I will know which is the gander and which is the goose? One is slightly larger than the other but I realize (I also have chickens, ducks and turkeys) that size difference isn't very reliable. Are there any secondary characteristics I can watch for?

2. The gander is most likely the larger one -- out of the geese I ordered last year, the biggest were ganders in 2 out of 3 cases. In the third case, the gander was the biggest as a gosling, but as an adult he is the smallest of the three ganders. His mate outweighs him! Perhaps that is why he is the most aggressive of all three ganders . . . he is compensating!

We weren't sure until breeding season - I think you would definately know by this time next year. Once they start feeling the hormones, the males will hiss, walk between you and their mate, and will stand with their neck all stretched out watching you. Not to mention it is pretty obvious after they start mating . . .

The ganders are also bulkier, with a more massive look - the females look more streamlined. The ganders honk more as adults and are usually the first to look at strange things . . . The ganders voices are a bit more shrill -- the females have a different deeper voice when they are just talking . . . .

But as goslings I just went with size and mostly that was correct . . .

3. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois

4. When we got our goslings, I wanted to live out in the barn with them : ) They are so fun and responsive . . . You can always name them and just switch the names around when you know for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by