New to group and need advice

markergirl77

Hatching
Feb 27, 2016
Hi everyone i'm Bonnie! I have 5 chickens 3 Rhode island reds and 2 ameraucanas/easter eggers. I'm having problems with bullying in the group. The top dog in the group is attacking the 2 ameraucanas, she jumps ontop of them and pecks at their combs, looks like she's trying to rip it off. She's also pecked most of the feathers off their lower backs and their neck they're pretty raw.
sad.png
I don't have anyway to separate them rather than putting them in a dog cage but I don't want to punish them for being picked on and I don't want to put the bully in there alone. I just got some blue kote and also some microcynah and applied that to their wounds so im hoping for the best!! If y'all have any other ideas or suggestions please let me know!!

welcom to BYC, sorry you are having difficulties in your flock. Can you tell us an approximate age of your birds? How much space are the birds currently housed in? Are you certain of the gender of all the birds in your group (even if sold to you as pullets that alone is not a guarantee)? How long have you had the birds and did they come together as one group or were they from more than one source and have been integrated?

The mean one needs to come out of there before it kills your other flock members. Chickens often resort to cannibalism, so I wouldn't concern myself with a bully's feelings (if they have any) and instead want to keep the others safe and healthy. Most people do pull the mean ones out and cage them - which sometimes sobers them up. Other times they are even meaner when put back in the flock. Chicken folks will tell you, the meanest birds make the best soup. You can try 'pinless peepers," on meany. They prevent the bird from seeing straight ahead which throws their aim off. You can put "pinless peepers," in the search box to find out about them.

If this bird is truly as bad as you say - it needs to be eliminated from your flock.

welcom to BYC, sorry you are having difficulties in your flock. Can you tell us an approximate age of your birds? How much space are the birds currently housed in? Are you certain of the gender of all the birds in your group (even if sold to you as pullets that alone is not a guarantee)? How long have you had the birds and did they come together as one group or were they from more than one source and have been integrated?

HI and welcome to BYC - glad to have you onboard with us. I agree that these pertinent questions need to be answered in order for you to find a long term solution.

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom