New to hatching. 1 eggs started a week before the rest

browncattleco

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 28, 2013
I have a barred rock that has recently gone broody. She had some eggs from my flock and only 3 remained after I moved her to a coop. Since then I have purchased a set of black copper maran hatching eggs and placed them under her, removing all but 1 original egg. And that egg, The egg she started with, looks to have a chick forming inside so I'm assuming its a ways ahead of the eggs I purchased.
So my questions begin as I am all new to hatching.

What should I do? ? Will she hatch the first one a week ahead of the rest and remain on the nest or will she give up on the Maran eggs? If it survives should i leave it withher or take it so she finishes? It is important to me that she stay on them and there are only 8! Thank you in advanve for any tips tricks and advise!

welcome-byc.gif
Her instincts will tell her to leave the nest 36 to 48 hours after the chick hatches. I would remove it immediately upon hatching and then return it to her once the marans have hatched.

Okay that's what I am worried about! Will the chick survive alone till the others arrive ? I can bing it in my house and take good care of it. I have raised many chicks before just never 1 single lone chick. Thank you

The one chick will be okay, as long as you take care of it until your marans hatch. But you would have to leave the chick with the mother long enough for her to remember it, so when you put it back with her when the marans start hatching she wont kill it off, because that would be so sad
hit.gif

Yikes. Yea that would NOT make me happy! I will take it when it hatches and dries off. It was my mistake as I didn't think the eggs she had were fertilized... but apparently my ity bity banty was doing his job! It will be a barred rock/banty cross! LOL!

By the way when I candled the 1 egg she started with it looks about half full. No idea what that means as far as how far along it is, but I'm pretty sure its alive!

Back
Top Bottom