New to hatching Day 21 No chicks

BroodyRoo

Chirping
Feb 10, 2012
Good afternoon.

This is my first time trying to hatch eggs with an incubator - first time hatching chicks at all. I have owned chickens for 4 or so years, but only just recently purchased our hobby farm so can finally hatch chicks with our very own rooster. Yay!

I gathered the eggs that were warmest when collecting and put them into the brand new incubator and foolishly did not keep an eye on the humidity. Yesterday was the magical day 21 and I went to candle the eggs because I wasn't hearing anything yet and there was no outward indication of anything stirring inside. Upon inspection, I was able to clearly see I had ONE good one moving plenty, but seemed to still be around day 15 or so? I did not add them all at once. (Another thing I will do differently in the future)

I have four or five that looked all black but for the good sized air sac and I was unable to see any movement. I assumed the worst. This morning, I decided to check it out. I do not want to lose the one good one I can confirm so I went about pecking my way into the egg at the air pocket. I moistened the egg thoroughly and, to my utter surprise
ep.gif
the membrane MOVED. Holy Cow.

So I put that one back in wrapped up in a wet paper towel and candled all the other black-but-for-air-sac ones again and, sure enough, those are moving too. So, if they aren't hatching at day 22 and I have seriously increased humidity.. what do I do now? Will they live? Will they hatch? I'm thinking of biting my nails over here.

Thanks in advance for any advice and apologies for the length.

The only thing you can do now is just wait... it is very hard but they still have a good chance of hatching on their own. GOOD LUCK!

HOLY COW I have one that is hatching! It's so ExCitiNG! My family is even in on the joy and peeking at the incubator with me!

The roo is an Australorp, the hens are leghorn, barred rock, australorp and red sex link. Our roo is fabulous. The one that is hatching is a leghorn. I can't wait to see what the baby looks like. Staring at it doesn't seem to make it go faster, but maybe I just need to keep at it.

Looking for the camera.. looking for the camera... Ooooh! To preserve the moment! How exciting!

Got it! This is the one that I can hear noises from. Somebody is pecking away in there just one little tap-tap at a time.

And these are his/her siblings:

Back
Top Bottom