New to hatching "spider legs "

johnboy101

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi everyone,

I have been using this site for weeks now to research getting some chickens. First of all i would like to say how amazing this site and everyone who contributes are. It is such a great source of knowledge.

After several weeks of research we decided to get some bantam chickens. We wanted to start from the beginning as we felt it would be more rewarding this way. Unfortunately there is no one around us to buy eggs from. This meant that we had to buy from eBay. After choosing 2 different breeds and 2 different breeders we purchased 12 eggs in total. Once they arrived we let them settle for 24 hours to allow the air pocket to settle.

It's now day 5 and we are 12 hours in. I couldn't resist candling them to see if anything was Happening. To my surprise I could see 3 eggs with spider legs /veins. Does this mean that we are likely to only be having 3 chicks or could more eggs develop over the next few hours /day?

Also we have been running the humidity at 55 since day one. I was told this wad to high and dropped it to 50 today. Can anyone advise if this would be better at 55 or 50?

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps with advice

John

:welcome. I would candle again on day 7 to see if you have more development in any eggs. Only remove any eggs you are certain are not developing if insure leave them. I candle days 7,14 and 18 before lockdown. I have humidity at 45% days 1-18 and then put it up at day 18 to 65%. Posted eggs I would set very upright pointy end down in incubator because they some times have damaged air cells. Good luck with your hatch.

Thanks for your reply. I made sure that the pointed end was down as soon as I received the eggs ( learnt that from here ). Guess we shall have to wait and see if any more eggs begin to develop.

Here's hoping

I totally know what you're going through!
smile.png

Just come through this myself and the support and advice on here got me through relatively sane
celebrate.gif

Keep us posted, I found that all advice and comments helped in some way.

Checked eggs again today and only 3 are showing embryos growing. Will have to wait until these hatch and then get some more bantam eggs and try again. Cant really have a 3x4m run with 3 bantams in it now.

wish there was some bantam suppliers near Glasgow area.

John

^x 2! Especially if you're using a still air incubator. They tend to have cool spots, which slows development. I've had eggs I thought were duds, candled them again and.....surprise, they were growing. I leave questionable eggs in until day 10 :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom