New to incubating, quick question

chickenmomma16

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 16, 2012
Buckley, Washington
Total newbie with incubating. I have a feeling I will be addicted in no time... I have a Brinsea Octagon 20 I picked up on Craigslist for a good deal last summer and haven't used it yet. Now my Ameraucanas are laying and I can't wait any longer to incubate some eggs!

I wanted to set them this coming Friday morning (5/19) but we have an unexpected complication.... We are set to leave for a short notice camping trip Friday evening to Sunday evening. I already collected eggs and I will have my 2 dozen for the 'bator later today. My first question is, will they be okay to Not rotate them for the time I will be gone? We would leave Friday evening and we'd be back Sunday evening. There is someone that could rotate them but I'd rather not ask them. Setting them Friday morning will have the hatch day for my weekend (I have Fri-Sun off) and I can get them all set up during the weekend so I won't stress about them as bad while I'm at work.
That's the plan! What am I risking by not rotating them for a couple days?

Total newbie with incubating. I have a feeling I will be addicted in no time... I have a Brinsea Octagon 20 I picked up on Craigslist for a good deal last summer and haven't used it yet. Now my Ameraucanas are laying and I can't wait any longer to incubate some eggs!

I wanted to set them this coming Friday morning (5/19) but we have an unexpected complication.... We are set to leave for a short notice camping trip Friday evening to Sunday evening. I already collected eggs and I will have my 2 dozen for the 'bator later today. My first question is, will they be okay to Not rotate them for the time I will be gone? We would leave Friday evening and we'd be back Sunday evening. There is someone that could rotate them but I'd rather not ask them. Setting them Friday morning will have the hatch day for my weekend (I have Fri-Sun off) and I can get them all set up during the weekend so I won't stress about them as bad while I'm at work.
I would ask someone to rotate them for you. They can get stuck if not rotated and not be able to hatch properly .

It was our first time incubating about 2-3 months ago and it was (not gonna lie) pretty stressful. Maybe it was just because it was our first time, and our humitity was all weird, but it was still pretty stressful. Personally, especially because you would have to hand turn them, i wouldn't go. While you are gone, the humidity could go "hey wire", and if the turning doesn't happen when it should, then the chick could get stuck on one side of the egg. I'm sorry if I'm being really negative about the situation XD, but I'm just saying that maybe it's not the best timing, especially since it's your first time. Good luck!

I love BYC! Three totally different answers :D

With a Brinsea.... set them and GO. They will be fine.
Even without the automatic turner? From what I read about this incubator I'm going to try and not stress about the incubation (too much) and just try my best.

It was our first time incubating about 2-3 months ago and it was (not gonna lie) pretty stressful. Maybe it was just because it was our first time, and our humitity was all weird, but it was still pretty stressful. Personally, especially because you would have to hand turn them, i wouldn't go. While you are gone, the humidity could go "hey wire", and if the turning doesn't happen when it should, then the chick could get stuck on one side of the egg. I'm sorry if I'm being really negative about the situation XD, but I'm just saying that maybe it's not the best timing, especially since it's your first time. Good luck!

I don't take that as negative, but not going camping is not an option. I'm under a deadline too, my "hatch day" is the end of August. I want to get as much camping in before our little girl arrives but I still want to hatch some chicks too. If it's absolutely necessary to turn them in the first couple days, worse case scenario I'll set them Sunday when I get home.

The first couple days not turning will not compromise them. Many that hatch shipped eggs don't turn till day 4. However, once you have development they need to be turned, 3 times a day is sufficient. They need to be turned until day 14. After that it is not necessary to turn. I stop turning end of day 13.

As for humidity, ups and downs will not hurt them as long as the average allows for proper moisture loss of the egg before lock down. Let the air cells guide you and you'll know how to adjust.

I love BYC! Three totally different answers :D

Even without the automatic turner? From what I read about this incubator I'm going to try and not stress about the incubation (too much) and just try my best.

I don't take that as negative, but not going camping is not an option. I'm under a deadline too, my "hatch day" is the end of August. I want to get as much camping in before our little girl arrives but I still want to hatch some chicks too. If it's absolutely necessary to turn them in the first couple days, worse case scenario I'll set them Sunday when I get home

I'm assuming by referring to an August hatch day meaning you need to be able to hatch by then? Cause you'd be hatching in June.

I'm assuming by referring to an August hatch day meaning you need to be able to hatch by then? Cause you'd be hatching in June.

I'm pregnant and my "hatch day" or due date is the end of August. ;) After I set this batch I can only set one more batch before it will be just too close to my own due date to have little chicks running around and needing care. So I need to hatch and get them outside ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom