new to incubation

BroodyBettysMom

Chirping
Aug 1, 2015
Mississippi
I'm using a Hova-Bator 1602N. My last clutch of 10 was hatched naturally. Only 8 hatched and almost 4 months later 2 remain surviving. Mom was not a good mom. Hence why I' m using an incubator and being the mom this time! I'm on day 20 with my first clutch. After candling only 11 passed inspection. I feel so nervous and anxious to see my first pip!:jumpy

Drabbits, I understand your pain! No movement, pips, or peeps! I don't have a hydrogemeter because I didn't know I really needed it seeing we're so humid here. I'll tell ya! It's making me a nervous wreck, peeking through the windows, looking crazy chirping at eggs! Aaaggghhh! Lol

Thank you. there are no pips yet. I'll keep you all posted. I grew up on a farm but all our hens did the work. Just recently (last spring) I got chicks from tractor supply, all isa Brown's and realized there only good for egg production.my bad!! So that has led me to incubation. After I purchased the little giant incubater I realized again that it's not a first choice by many. I'm learning.slowly but surely...thanks again.

The incubator temps may have also been slightly low in yours too. I understand that the styrobators can be temperamental. It is nerve wracking especially for tour first hatch. My temps were low on my first hatch and I hatched 5 out of 7 days 21 to 22. Fingers crossed!

Thinking I've solved my temperature problem. In the directions for the still air little giant incubater it says to take out the red plug in the back which is by the heater, well I'm leaving that plug in and I removed the one up front away from the heater. Since then my temperature is consistent with the 3 hygrometers I have inside. Except for the one built into the bator I have that one set at 102.5 and that just tells me in no way shape or form is it accurate. So by setting it at a higher temperature I'm getting readings of 99.5. On one and 100. on another and 101.on the 3 rd hygrometer. So as long as I can maintain those ranges I think ( I hope) I will have a good hatch. :)

Today is day 20 for my eBay egg silkies and I am just getting some pips. Upping the humidity I think is important. Try getting a little condensation on the hova Bator window . I don't think drowning chick is something to worry about at this point.

Today is day 20 for my eBay egg silkies and I am just getting some pips. Upping the humidity I think is important. Try getting a little condensation on the hova Bator window . I don't think drowning chick is something to worry about at this point.

I was honestly wondering about that. I have a lot of water trying to get some condensation going, even tried to up the temp. to about 102° thinking that may help with humidity. I'm in Mississippi and it is pretty humid here still.

I left my plugs in and so far hatching successfully, it helped me keep humidity up. I filled all water reservoirs and even put some hot wet sponges and paper towels (running hova Bator also) .I think you want the temps 98-99 now.

Like I said earlier I would not worry about too much humidity this late in the incubating. I think the drowning scare is irrational in lockdown even with 80%+ humidity. Could be wrong though

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom