New to incubation

alexandherpets

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 7, 2012
Pennsylvania
I find different answers all over the place, but i was just wanting to ask you all out there from personal experience. I am new to the incubation process, and have two incubators at the moment (both in use). I was wondering about the humidity of the incubator. I am constantly checking on the humidity and want to make sure my humidity levels are ok. I have about 25 eggs in a janoel 4 48 and the humidity is kept at a constant 45-50, sometimes getting to 52, but rarely. Is this humidity level alright or too high? i thought it was too high at first but im reading in some places that it is a good level to keep it at. What do you think?

The humidity level seems fine to me. When I incubate, I keep the humidity at about 50% for the first eighteen days, and then increase it to 65-70 % during the last three days of incubation.

Thanks!! ill be sure to keep it around 50. Whats the ideal humidity for the 18-21st day? i heard it was 60-80. is that right? Does it matter how many eggs are in the incubator? I thought that maybe the more eggs in the incubator, the higher you should keep the humidity level.

Thanks!! ill be sure to keep it around 50. Whats the ideal humidity for the 18-21st day? i heard it was 60-80. is that right? Does it matter how many eggs are in the incubator? I thought that maybe the more eggs in the incubator, the higher you should keep the humidity level.
60-70% humidity is good for the 18-21st days. Some people keep it lower (in fact, some "dry hatch", which means that they don't even add water to the incubator), but I always keep it at 60%-70%. As far as I know, the number of eggs doesn't make a difference.

humidity isn't really a set number.. you can candle and weigh eggs as they progress to make sure they are losing weight (gaining an air cell) properly.

this thread recommends Humidity between 28%-45% for the first 18 days
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
scroll down to: HUMIDITY

edit: in my experience, the more eggs in the incubator, the more humidity they generate. I have actually had to reduce the humidity here in Oregon!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom