New to Muscovies... They kinda scare me!

They don't nest on trees like mockingbirds or other birds do, they nest in holes in the trees. Maybe that's what you mean, but it was a bit ambiguous.

BTW, Welshies, we skin our ducks too. Maybe the main reason I hear ducks called fatty is because meat ducks are fed so much or even overfed, and then plucked instead of skinned. I'd like to try another kind of duck so I can really compare!

And Gray Farms, I might have misunderstood, but could you please never grab a duck by its feet, not even the females? Ducks have much weaker feet than chickens, and it can hurt them. My male is very good about being carried. I just cradle him in my arms, supporting his feet from underneath and holding his body and wings with the other. He doesn't like it, though, and I rarely have to carry him. (The other two males are skittish; they'll flap and kick with all their might. I never have to carry them.)

Muscovys aren't going to tolerate being crated every night. I can tell you that right now. These are big, strong ducks. I've had drakes tip the scale at nearly 20 pounds at it was all I could do to hold onto them. In my opinion Muscovys are the polar opposite of quackin ducks in most every way. I'm not trying to discourage you in any means. I'm just saying when comparing Muscovy ducks to all other "quackin" ducks, your not comparing apples to apples. Muscovy can be extremely effectuate when they get to know you. Fly up on yer lap and beg for treats even.

Yeah. Muscovies aren't ducks at all, in fact. They are their own species, but they're still waterfowl and similar enough to ducks that they're sometimes called ducks.

They don't nest on trees like mockingbirds or other birds do, they nest in holes in the trees. Maybe that's what you mean, but it was a bit ambiguous.

BTW, Welshies, we skin our ducks too. Maybe the main reason I hear ducks called fatty is because meat ducks are fed so much or even overfed, and then plucked instead of skinned. I'd like to try another kind of duck so I can really compare!

And Gray Farms, I might have misunderstood, but could you please never grab a duck by its feet, not even the females? Ducks have much weaker feet than chickens, and it can hurt them. My male is very good about being carried. I just cradle him in my arms, supporting his feet from underneath and holding his body and wings with the other. He doesn't like it, though, and I rarely have to carry him. (The other two males are skittish; they'll flap and kick with all their might. I never have to carry them.)
If they are used to being handled, yes its easy to carry them like that. And I carry mine the same. However you can get seriously hurt if they are not restrained. I didn't mean carry them upside down by their feet. Just that when being carried or handled that their feet should be restrained. Generally by a second person gently holding the feet for unexperienced persons.

No apologies necessary, we just misunderstood each other. And I should have worded it differently I reckin.

Ya their wings are clipped and in covered pens, way to many predators around to let them loose. I'm very aware the love to roost in trees, but was unaware that anybody has had some nest in a tree as well. Perhaps the truly wild stock in South America might still nest in trees. Muscovys fall into the love them or hate them class lol. Most everybody I've ever met loves or hates them at first sight.

Muscovies are the cats of the duck world. :lau

Well, I know I feed mine free choice at night and they forage a lot during the day (35 sqft/duck minimum in their run). I butcher them when they are in or fresh out of the molt as they seem to be leaner (because they are molting at the same time). I don't know the difference between breeds, but someone said Runner crosses are better for lean meat, but have less meat. I just try to keep mine happy and in shape and it seems to work. They also swim a lot, and tht makes a big difference in the texture and quality of meat.

Here is a picture. The male is huge!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom