new to peafowl. BAd news and lots of questions?????? please help.

OkieChix

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 30, 2010
broken arrow, oklahoma
ok hi my name is sarah and i had gotten 12peachecks( may 19and27 hatch date) from the kids school along with other poultry and fowl this year from them doing the:here incubation thing in there class. long story short i got them all free. would up witht the little guys (peachick) and others. lost 2 because i dont think they figured out how to eat. so i have 10 now. well i took them out to my parent farm where i will be moving to in a few months. my dad let them out of there pen not thinking at all ( oh they can just free range with the rest of the guinea and turkeys and that they would be fine) this was there very frist time out side anyways they came home after being out all day which scared the crap out of me. the fit threw the fince might i add too. 10x10 x6 dog kennal temperally till i finshed the big pen. but my mom and i talked it over this morning weahter to let them out again i didnt really want to but she thought they would come back since they did lastnight. so i let them out yet again. ( stupid me)
he.gif
:he:he:he neigbhor found one stuck in the bob wire fince with a hole in the wing over well over two acers away from its pen the other one i cought in the garden so i have 2 now. the question is will they come home and how long will it take? and how far can they travel in a day? how do i get them to come back? ect??? i dont want any thing to happen to them the are beatuifull i had 3pied 1white 2camo 2blues and2 black shoulder. the one that came home were one pied and one blue. any ideals....

ps: sorry for the rambling and the grammer and spelling. i'm not very good at all with both. -sarah

Last edited:
If you line the inside of the 10x10 kennel with chicken wire, they won't be able to escape. Run the chicken wire all the way to the top because they can fly very early. If you put the wire on the outside of the kennel, a predator can easily pull it away and grab a chick.

just an update everyone. the pied that got stuck in the babwire fince died yesterday i even took it to the vet to seee if there was anything that could be done. 3 more came home yesterday morning and 2 last night thank god. im waiting on 3 more. i hope they are ok. i got the one that came home in a old rabbit cage right now till there new pen can be finished. is there any way to tame them? and keep them from wonderingoff?

smile.png
smile.png
Hi okie Chick you and I had a long talk last week when you called about my baby peachicks I had on Craigs list. I was surprised to find you on BYC its great isn't it?? What was the outcome of your story did the last three come home??

lol hi again. no they have not come home yet... i still have my hopes up tho. one of my pieds died last night. we baried it this morning. the other are doing fine right now. i got them penned up so they cant run off. atlest till i can build a proper pen for them. keep praying that the other three come home. -sarah

So glad to hear that so many made it home already. They are so young when then came to you and got out immediately, so may not be sure where home is, or be able to find it without it.
fl.gif
that they do.

me too. i should have done a lot more reserch. but im so happy that i still have the peachecks that came home. i still feel like such an idoit letting them out after in took so long for them to come home the frist time. i off work saterday so guess what i will be doing. lol yep thats right working on a suitable pen for them. oh this morning the chick that looks like a blackshoulder female ate a tomato out of my hand. it was to cute. i wished i could tell the boys from girls so i can name them. any clues?

Back
Top Bottom