New to Quail- what can you tell me?!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by learycow, Dec 13, 2011.

1. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I have raised poultry all my life and I would like to try a hand at quail.
    I only plan on getting 4-6. They will be strictly to have as enjoyment and for eggs. Can I have just one male with 4 or 5 females? I know nothing about quail, but I am asking because I would like to try to hatch some in the spring/summer.

I have a large rabbit hutch (I usually use it when I hatch chicks/ducklings). Would this be good housing for them? What about in the winter? I live in southern Maine, so it gets pretty cold here. The hutch has an indoor area they can go into to get out of the weather. I plan to fill it with hay, but do they need a roost? And will that be enough to keep them warm in the winter, or should I put a light out there for them?

What breed would you recommend I get? Like I said before, I want them for pets and eggs. Nothing special, but I would like to try to hatch some just for fun.

Any other information would be great!
    Also, if there is anyone in Maine that sells or breeds them that I can get a hold of, that info would be great!

2. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
  3. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    read thru ALLL the stickys at the top of the quail forums, tons of information in there

specific questions will be answered of course

4. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i'll do some quick answers in bold, but check out the stickys

Quote:

5. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    [​IMG]

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    The stickies help a lot but don't hesitate to ask questions either!! We always learn from each other! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by