New to quail

When you build it, take into account the weather where you live as well. Coturnix quail are pretty hardy; from what I understand, a light snow doesn't deter them. But you'll have to do more research and hear from the others here. I'm in Hawaii, where drenching rain is normal and snow would be newsworthy. Some quail breeders seem to have a winter setup where the birds are housed indoors part of the year.
As long as they're dry and have shelter, they can handle freezing weather quite well.

When you build it, take into account the weather where you live as well. Coturnix quail are pretty hardy; from what I understand, a light snow doesn't deter them. But you'll have to do more research and hear from the others here. I'm in Hawaii, where drenching rain is normal and snow would be newsworthy. Some quail breeders seem to have a winter setup where the birds are housed indoors part of the year.does it have to be on the ground so they can free range ?

Will they walk on a ramp to go into the shelter
Mine do fine with a not-too-steep ramp. Also, although they don't fly distances, they can pop-up small distances if your coop isn't built too high.

As far as the flooring, my run is on the ground heaped high with poultry bedding (pine shavings) and small leaf and grass cuttings. Check out the threads on deep litter and deep bedding. I find these methods work well with quail and gardening.

Last edited:
Will they walk on a ramp to go into the shelter
Generally no. If they do, it mustn’t be too steep and even then you will find that many of them will refuse to do that. If it’s Coturnix (Japanese) quail you’re talking about, they don’t like being more than a few inches off the ground, they don’t have the anatomy to perch and seem to have no problems going to sleep exactly where they were running around during the day.

Back
Top Bottom