New to raising chickens

Sherrilv

Hatching
Apr 3, 2020
Roseville, Ca.
Hello,
I joined a group similar to this one a few years ago but never did purchase chickens. I was mostly doing research and studying out what type of chickens I wanted.
I remember the best laying hens were Red Rock hens (?). Not sure I got the name correct. I only need maybe 3 chickens and my coop will be small, maybe 4'x8'?
Not sure how to build a coop or if I can have someone make one for me? What is the best type of feed? Can I keep the chickens in the coop most of the time? Will they ruin my raised vegetable garden? So many questions. Not sure where to start. Any and all advice is welcome.
Thank you,
Sherri

Hello, Sherri, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Rhode Island Reds.
You don't want to keep them in the coop most of the time. They need to be outside in a run or pen with a bare minimum of 10 sq ft per bird. More is much better.
4x8 is a great sized coop for 3 chickens. You can also convert a small shed or part of a larger shed into your coop.
I like feeding 18-20% protein for life. I feed Flock Raiser with oyster shell on the side for the active layers.
They will trash your vegetable garden.

Last edited:
Hello, Sherri, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Rhode Island Reds.
You don't want to keep them in the coop most of the time. They need to be outside in a run or pen with a bare minimum of 10 sq ft per bird. More is much better.
4x8 is a great sized coop for 3 chickens. You can also convert a small shed or part of a larger shed into your coop.
I like feeding 18-20% protein for life. I feed Flock Raiser with oyster shell on the side for the active layers.
They will trash your vegetable garden.

Thank you so much for all the info. I will see if I can find some Rhode Island Red chicks. Can the runs be about 36” high? I was thinking 36” wide X 15’ long and 36” high.
I could let them out when I don’t have garden, like during the winter months? Can they fly over a 6’ high fence?
Sherri

Run can be short or tall as you want, BUT keep in mind you need to be able to access it too. So think of how much you want to be bending over to clean or do repairs, etc. I really, really recommend that runs be walk in height. IMO a 10x10 chain link dog run is a good base to work with for a small backyard flock.

Run width is another thing to consider. A 3' x 15' run footprint is not as chicken friendly as let's say 6'x7' even though that's smaller sq footage, because of pecking order. If a lower ranked chicken doesn't give enough space to a higher ranked bird, it can cause the higher ranked bird to want to punish it for not showing proper deference. Also 3' and 15; aren't the best use of materials, as most lumber comes in 4' or 8' increments.

Yes chickens can fly over a 6' fence.

Not sure where to start.
First build the coop, then get chicks.

Welcome to BYC! @Sherrilv
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1586119669605.png

Back
Top Bottom