New to Raising Ducks

hens & chicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 14, 2009
Hudson Indiana
Ok. As if I do not have enough chickens and peacocks and geese and guineas and goats and hogs, I now have some ducks.
I just obtained a black pair of Runner Ducks. I know nothing about ducks other than they quack.

What types of containers do I need for their feed and water?

What type of feed do I need?

What is the best type of housing?

What do I need to know about incubating their eggs? Female laid one tonight. I have an incubator and just finished my first hatch of baby chicks in it. Do I set them like I did the chicken eggs? 10 days-rotate several times a day?

Any help and assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to all who help out!!

They only need enough water to rinse their nostrils, but a small plastic wading pool would be better for bathing, breeding, etc.
They can eat chicken feed but do better on flock raiser or something with a higher protien content (especially if they can't free range.)
You can keep them in a pen similar to your chickens but they don't need any roosts. (I keep mine together in the same coop.)
Eggs incubate for 28 days and need more humidity then chicken eggs. Same turning, etc.
Good luck!

What types of containers do I need for their feed and water?
A big poultry waterer will work and really any feeder will work, they will find their food....just don't put the waterer in their nightime sleeping pen because they will drink at night and get their pen all wet....keep the waterer outside at all times.

What type of feed do I need?
I use either Dumor Poultry layer for laying ducks or dumor starter/grower for ducklings...the duckling starter has a pic of a duckling and chick on the front of the bag...I've also used Purina, they all work.

What is the best type of housing?
Well, the easiest type for two ducks is a small lean to shelter with a pop door. Just put straw or wood chips inside and your done...make it predator proof though. You can also add a big run to it if you don't want them to free range.

What do I need to know about incubating their eggs?
Temp: 99.5-101 Humidity: 50-60% the first 25 days then 60-70% the last three days. Stop turning on day 25, they usually hatch on day 28 or 29...​

Quote:

And keep the feed out too, you don't want them eating without access to water.

First thing you should do is get the book "Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks" written by Dave Holderread. The information contained in the book is priceless. You'll find yourself going back to it again and again... even with this board!

Hey To All,
Thanks to you all for the input and assistance. I really appreciate the help. They are the "purrrtist" ducks. I have been thinking about getting Runner Ducks for several months and this pair was not working out with someones muscovies so I got to rescue them. I am so excited to now have a pair. Maybe not in the best Indiana weather conditions but they will be spoiled.

Does a duck or any fowl for that matter have to breed each time or each egg to be fertile of does one breeding "work" for awhile. More on the order of a bee? Once bred almost always fertile? I have no clue on this. I was told or maybe read somewhere that if you pull a roo off of a hen then in 7 days she will no longer produce fertile eggs. Anyone know about the ducks?

I've heard different things for ducks. It is true that they breed once and it lasts for a little while. The length I'm not sure. I ve heard like 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for that info. I was wondering about the eggs and if they all would be fertile from day to day for the purpose of incubation.

I have only incubated once and a gentleman who incubates eggs told me he "set" his eggs for ten days. They are in an egg carton and sit on the table beside the incubator. 4 times a day he turns them and they are at a slight angle. So--when I got my incubator in from Brahampooter and the 5 eggs she sent me, I "sat" the eggs and then at 10 days time I put them in the incubator. All 5 eggs hatched and they definately have that New York Accent.
hmm.png

So I was wondering about the duck eggs at only one a day that if I "set" them maybe a clutch of 6 would all hatch at the same time?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom