Another duck after partner duck passes

mmoral514

Hatching
Dec 24, 2023
A few years ago, we got a pair of ducks. One suddenly passed today, and we're not sure why/how. Our remaining duck is very much grieving, and it's absolutely heartbreaking. I would like to get her another duck friend to assist with her loneliness, but because we don't know how our duck died, we're hesitant to get one right away in case it was something that's contagious. What do you all think would be a proper "incubation" period for anything that may be contagious before we add other ducks to the mix? I'm trying to find a balance of being responsible for other ducks and not subject them to illness and while also understanding ducks are flock animals and need friends. Any thoughts and advice is appreciated!

A few years ago, we got a pair of ducks. One suddenly passed today, and we're not sure why/how. Our remaining duck is very much grieving, and it's absolutely heartbreaking. I would like to get her another duck friend to assist with her loneliness, but because we don't know how our duck died, we're hesitant to get one right away in case it was something that's contagious. What do you all think would be a proper "incubation" period for anything that may be contagious before we add other ducks to the mix? I'm trying to find a balance of being responsible for other ducks and not subject them to illness and while also understanding ducks are flock animals and need friends. Any thoughts and advice is appreciated!
I would get two more ducks so that you aren't in this situation again

When I get new rescues I quarantine them for 28 days unless I know the circumstances of their past. I doubt that your duck died from something infectious that the survivor may carry. I would go ahead and try and obtain two adult females. Then keep them see no touch for a few days. If your duck remains healthy I would let the mingle as soon as they show interest in eachother. My most recent rehomes, two adult female pekins were immediately interested in my son's ducks (2 adult pekin females and a drake, ) my son's pekins were also interested in the new girls. As they came from a known good background, they wre allowed to mix on the second day. They immediately fully integrated with no problems. I hope you have a similar experience

Ruth spoke wisely. 2 can get on well, yet when 1 passes, it's often devastating. We raised several duckling rafts this summer, They sure were pesky toward each other in the beginning, but blended peacefully in a week or two and had established their hierarchy.
Takes 3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom