New to Roosters

joshmcgeehan

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 7, 2015
Hi Backyard Chickens,

My wife and I have had chickens in the past but we are moving out of town to the county where we will have just over an acre. We would love to get a new mixed flock of hens as well as a rooster. I know this has been posted many times on this forum and there are many articles online. I just wanted to ask again, what roosters you all have owned. I am looking for something that would watch the flock, but I am more interested in a bird that would not be aggressive towards my wife or I. This may be a nurture vs nature question, but I wanted to ask it again! Thanks! We are excited to have our first "intentional" rooster! :):D

Hi Backyard Chickens,

My wife and I have had chickens in the past but we are moving out of town to the county where we will have just over an acre. We would love to get a new mixed flock of hens as well as a rooster. I know this has been posted many times on this forum and there are many articles online. I just wanted to ask again, what roosters you all have owned. I am looking for something that would watch the flock, but I am more interested in a bird that would not be aggressive towards my wife or I. This may be a nurture vs nature question, but I wanted to ask it again! Thanks! We are excited to have our first "intentional" rooster! :):D
If you don't care about looks/breed as much, I would find a rooster that someone is giving up locally. There are plenty of roosters who are gentlemen that need new homes so the likelihood of them working out as far as aggression are higher.
And I did say rooster, not cockerel. A cockerel is a male chicken who is under 1 year of age and they can have crazy hormones going on which often contributes to the aggression problem. A rooster is a mature bird. If someone is rehoming a gentlemanly full grown rooster, I think it will better your chances of it working out.
You would just need to make sure to integrate properly.

Congratulations on your roomy move and soon to be big flock of your own. I agree with all the above.
My favorite roo being Brahma for their stunning size and good looks, low crow, kind docile and tender personalities. Barred rocks are great organizers and keep a flock in line. Great if you have a heavy predator load- Plus always stunning to look at. I love mix breeds and also found my fit with a third gen son of my own. A little like Cinderella's glass slipper. You may have to try on a few but will know when you have your fit, he will make your flock sing ♡

If you intend to breed replacements you'll need to consider what characteristics the rooster will bring to your future flock -- which is why I ruled out a Brahma despite having had a Brahma rooster before who was laid-back and pleasant to deal with. I didn't need to bring slow growth and mediocre laying into the flock permanently.

Remember, the male is half the flock -- having more influence than any one hen.

I've had mixed results. 1 SS cockerel and I BR cockerel turned human aggressive. 1 BR cockerel fro the same batch grew to be a good rooster. His sons being raised under adult hens and me taking a more hands off approach are showing promise. They will be 20 weeks tomorrow. The BRxSS mix is not being good with the pullets and will be soup soon. The BRxBR is minding his manners for now.

If you intend to breed replacements you'll need to consider what characteristics the rooster will bring to your future flock -- which is why I ruled out a Brahma despite having had a Brahma rooster before who was laid-back and pleasant to deal with. I didn't need to bring slow growth and mediocre laying into the flock permanently.

Remember, the male is half the flock -- having more influence than any one hen.
Makes good sense. I'm in warm sunny local so don't have too much issues with slow lay so did not think of that.
Yes, half of flock. Great way to look at it.
Does anyone on this thread have a Light Brahma X RR hen or roo. Always been curious...

Last edited:
I've had mixed results. 1 SS cockerel and I BR cockerel turned human aggressive. 1 BR cockerel fro the same batch grew to be a good rooster. His sons being raised under adult hens and me taking a more hands off approach are showing promise. They will be 20 weeks tomorrow. The BRxSS mix is not being good with the pullets and will be soup soon. The BRxBR is minding his manners for now.
I spoke too soon. The BRxBR got iffy tonight. Yeah I was walking a pullet around the coop to go in. Homey don't play that. Cockerels and extras were to be sold or eaten anyway. Stays could be given for future, but I have no need for another BR roo.

Back
Top Bottom