New to Roosters

I would not count on a male for 'protecting' the flock in a free range scenario.
Human aggression has much more to do with how the keepers behave than breed.
I don't see this as true, I have 18 roosters, all raised the same way, all had the same amount of attention. 17 are all big babies. Only 1 is a total butthead, & wants to beat me up all the time.

The human aggression is hereditary amongst roosters, & hens. One of my friendly boys produced an Aggressive hen, so somewhere down the line, there was a human aggressive relative. This would be happening more often if I were to breed my human aggressive rooster, rather then a friendly rooster.

I agree Mystery Chicken. The human behavior that is influential, is the ability to cull birds that don't work. I find the chicken society of the flock being quite influential, but it is the inability to cull that causes problems.

Personally, I like a pure breed rooster, on mutt chickens. You can quickly improve your chickens this way. I am switching from the dual purpose to a more egg laying flock. I am getting an assortment of leghorn chicks this spring, reporting to be 7 different kinds of leghorns, straight run.

It will be interesting to see how this works out in the long run.

Mrs K

Awesome! Have fun ♡♡♡
20211229_172824~2.jpg

I spoke too soon. The BRxBR got iffy tonight. Yeah I was walking a pullet around the coop to go in. Homey don't play that. Cockerels and extras were to be sold or eaten anyway. Stays could be given for future, but I have no need for another BR roo.
To update if interested, he has been fine since. Maybe more a reactionary behavior than an indicator of his true behavior. But his dad is fine with me walking after his girls.

He will still be processed....I have the supplies. need to sharpen the knife and watch a lot more videos on it. Never done it before.

When the time comes, do it with confidence. Hesitation is no courtesy, to you or the bird.

and if it doesn't go smoothly - even for we who have done it many times - finish the job swiftly, then process your feelings about it later.
I am confident in the culling part, it's the processing part. I have only cut up chickens from the store.

I am confident in the culling part, it's the processing part.
Gutting is tricky and takes some practice.
This helped me a lot as the vent removal was one of my biggest concerns,
along with neck slice.
Feeding a tablespoon of scratch right before killing will help handle the crop.
Loosen as much as possible from the neck end before going in the back.
The fascia is tough to break loose, especially on older(than 8 weeks) birds.

I have only cut up chickens from the store.
Well, that will help if you plan on parting out.
It amazes me how many people have never cut up a whole grocery bird.

Back
Top Bottom