New to the chicken experience in Georgetown, TX :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickiNewbie, Jan 25, 2016.

1. chickiNewbie

chickiNewbie New Egg

Jan 25, 2016
    Hello and thank you for having me. I came across your site as I was looking for general information about chickens because I would really like to bring chickens into our lives this year and I know my wife and daughters will love it as well. We're on 3/4 acre of bare wide open space so plenty of room. Several of our neighbors already have chickens and we love seeing them all over and interacting with them. We are at the very beginning stages of brainstorming and will hopefully soon start to make a layout of what we'd like to do. I hope to gather as much information as possible from all of you fellow knowledgeable and experienced chicken lovers :) I also follow some local fans on fb so that helps out a lot. Anyhow, thank you again for having me and I hope to make this as fun and fulfilling as I can imagine. God bless you all.

2. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

The Learning Center is a great place to start...it's full of interesting articles on all sorts of poultry topics:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

If you have questions, feel free to ask. There are a lot of helpful, nice members here all ready to help out.

Thanks for joining us!

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us.

Congrats on your decision to get your own flock.

I think you mean your property has no trees - then make sure to include planning for the summer heat and sun. Consider adding shade cover to the run and an outdoor fan to help in the summer. And adjustable ventilation - I used the cut outs for the windows to use as adjustable shutters over the openings so can adjust with a simple chain and hook. Even though my coop is somewhat protected to the noon to afternoon sun, the front gets the full morning sun and had to add a coolaroo shade to keep those gals cooler in the GA summers. And I think yours are just as hot/humid as ours.

Feel free to ask questions, we're here to help.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sunflour mentioned very good ideas, that work for her. Welcome to Backyard chickens

5. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Welcome to BYC! I'm also in Georgetown. Your property and neighborhood sound a lot like mine. Please let me know if my husband and I can help with anything!

8. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    [​IMG] I'm glad you decided to join us!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by