New to the Chicken Game

snaglehook

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 26, 2014
Destrehan,La.
Hi I'm Scott from Destrehan ,La. .Here's the story bought 4 Production Reds in June, one turned out to be a roo and was too loud. Long story short 3Reds Hens still no eggs??? Patience or am I doing something wrong? I free range 2-3 days a week and feed pellets also have area in coop with oyster shell , South La. So I open lots of oysters . Should I use a light in coop?

Oyster shell needs to be crushed into bite sized pieces that will easily go down the esophagus.
But as long as they're not laying yet, that's not important. Oyster shell won't induce laying but replaces the calcium in the medullary bone when they begin to make egg shells.
Were the birds day old chicks in June or were they older? If they were chicks, they reached point of lay some time in late November so aren't really overdue for birds reaching POL in the dead of winter.
Are the pellets, layer pellets, i.e. 4% calcium? If so, how long have they been on layer feed?
I'd switch back to a grower feed until they start to lay, which shouldn't be too much longer now that were past winter solstice. Increasing day length promotes sexual maturity.

Yes layer feed, 2 months, and I figured the shells would need to be crushed . They were chicks 1 week old in June at least that what I was told. I will switch back to the grower feed for a while.what about lighting, already set up just not clear on benefit/harm Thanks

Once your birds are 6 months old, there will be no harm adding light in the dead of winter. I'd increase day length about 1/2 hour every 4 days or so. I recently did that with a flock that started laying this summer but molted in fall and with 11 hens, I went from 1-2 eggs a day to about 8 in about 10 days.
With birds that haven't started laying it may take a bit longer but not much. You can tell a lot by looking at the combs and wattles. POL pullets combs and wattles will grow and turn dark red.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Is it possible they are laying eggs when they free range, and you haven't noticed. If they do, predators may be taking and eating them - squirrels, fox, skunks, oppossums even snakes love eggs.

Back
Top Bottom