New to the Chicken Game

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by snaglehook, Dec 26, 2014.

1. snaglehook

snaglehook Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2014
    Destrehan,La.
    Hi I'm Scott from Destrehan ,La. .Here's the story bought 4 Production Reds in June, one turned out to be a roo and was too loud. Long story short 3Reds Hens still no eggs??? Patience or am I doing something wrong? I free range 2-3 days a week and feed pellets also have area in coop with oyster shell , South La. So I open lots of oysters . Should I use a light in coop?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Oyster shell needs to be crushed into bite sized pieces that will easily go down the esophagus.
    But as long as they're not laying yet, that's not important. Oyster shell won't induce laying but replaces the calcium in the medullary bone when they begin to make egg shells.
    Were the birds day old chicks in June or were they older? If they were chicks, they reached point of lay some time in late November so aren't really overdue for birds reaching POL in the dead of winter.
    Are the pellets, layer pellets, i.e. 4% calcium? If so, how long have they been on layer feed?
    I'd switch back to a grower feed until they start to lay, which shouldn't be too much longer now that were past winter solstice. Increasing day length promotes sexual maturity.

3. snaglehook

snaglehook Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2014
    Destrehan,La.
    Yes layer feed, 2 months, and I figured the shells would need to be crushed . They were chicks 1 week old in June at least that what I was told. I will switch back to the grower feed for a while.what about lighting, already set up just not clear on benefit/harm Thanks

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Once your birds are 6 months old, there will be no harm adding light in the dead of winter. I'd increase day length about 1/2 hour every 4 days or so. I recently did that with a flock that started laying this summer but molted in fall and with 11 hens, I went from 1-2 eggs a day to about 8 in about 10 days.
    With birds that haven't started laying it may take a bit longer but not much. You can tell a lot by looking at the combs and wattles. POL pullets combs and wattles will grow and turn dark red.

1 person likes this.
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 on Chicken Canoe's advice.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Is it possible they are laying eggs when they free range, and you haven't noticed. If they do, predators may be taking and eating them - squirrels, fox, skunks, oppossums even snakes love eggs.

10. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by