New to this game but want some turkeys

tibor

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 30, 2011
Hey guys i have recently go into chickens and built myself a run/ coop and got 4 hens. I have the chance to buy 3 bourben reds that are 2 months old for $25. My run is 8x24 and is completely covered off the back of my shop. I the summer the birds will be let out in a chain link area about 20x35 or more. Ive read and read and searched but.

1) do you think that my 4 hens and and 2 or 3 br's will do ok in the same run with both coops
2) does a 2 mo br need a coop or just a small shelter and a high roost in the run.
3) what do they eat.

Quote:
Answers:

1) Yes. We have a young tom and an Orpington cockerel in the same coop to keep each other company.

2) If they are completly feathered, they will do fine in the coop. It is possible they may still need some heat. Ask the seller if they still have heat on them. Tutkeys prefer roosting high so a covered run with roosts high should work fine. 2 mo olds may need a ladder or soemthing to reach the higher roosts.

3) you can buy specialized turkey starter/grower. They will also eat normal chicken feed.

Quote:

turkeys' require more protein than chickens do, especially at the early stages of life. It's a must to start them either on game bird starter, or turkey starter.

1) It depends on the size of the pen and whether or not there's blackhead present in your soil. If the pen/coop is not large enough it can cause confrontations. Turkeys don't like to be confined too much to begin with, if they're overcrowded it will only make that worse. If blackhead is a problem on your farm penning turkeys with chickens will likely be fatal for the turkeys.

2) I agree with Jim.

3) You definitely want to provide a feed that is sufficient for their needs. Chicken feeds generally are not. You can buy feeds formulated for turkeys though.
smile.png

Turkeys at 2 months still need a 28-30% feed. Around 3-3 1/2 months you can wean to a 20% feed and then keep them on that for life. Sure you can raise them on 16% lay pellets and scratch but if you want them to thrive then feed them right!

Back
Top Bottom