New to this. Need some advise.

Here is a picture of my rooster. 4 month old Ameraucana .

Here is a picture of my rooster. 4 month old Ameraucana .
He's actually an Easter Egger rooster as opposed to a true Ameraucana. Easter Eggers are hybrids produced by crossing true Ameraucanas with other breeds to produce offspring that lay eggs in colors other than just blue. EEs also lay olive, green, beige, and sometimes even pale pink or gold eggs. Hatcheries often market these Easter Eggers under the label Ameraucana (frequently misspelled by the hatchery as Americana or Americauana). If you are not familiar with the difference, there is a good article on it at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html. The reason I mention it is because if you are planning to re-home him, anyone knowlegable in this regard will immediately recognize him as an Easter Egger. There's nothing wrong with EEs. They generally outlay their Ameraucana parent, but because they are hybrids, they will not breed true. Our EEs are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite chickens. She loves the different colored eggs they lay.

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom