New to this

edamaske

In the Brooder
May 1, 2015
Eagle Wi
We bought our home in January 2014, the previous owner left behind 15 free range peafowl, did the best I could trough the winter but lost the 3 of the 5 babies that hatched. It's that time of year again and I belive I have a female that is ready to lay.... well I hope. I found her laying on the drive way this morning legs stright out under her,she will not stand up just kinda rolls side to side. The other females and baby's are picking at her and jumping on her... I was able to pick her up and put her in my dog kennel to keep her from getting picked on but not sure what I should do or look for now. HELP please!! I have grown to love these birds and have been trying to educated my self to have a healthly flock. I think she is a younger female, she did not lay eggs last year. Not sure what to do to help her.
All I can say is the previous owner only cared about the money he could make from these birds not at all thier well being!!

Last edited:
We bought our home in January 2014, the previous owner left behind 15 free range peafowl, did the best I could trough the winter but lost the 3 of the 5 babies that hatched. It's that time of year again and I belive I have a female that is ready to lay.... well I hope. I found her laying on the drive way this morning legs stright out under her,she will not stand up just kinda rolls side to side. The other females and baby's are picking at her and jumping on her... I was able to pick her up and put her in my dog kennel to keep her from getting picked on but not sure what I should do or look for now. HELP please!! I have grown to love these birds and have been trying to educated my self to have a healthly flock. I think she is a younger female, she did not lay eggs last year. Not sure what to do to help her.
All I can say is the previous owner only cared about the money he could make from these birds not at all thier well being!!

Your hen is likely "Egg Bound" meaning she has an egg that is stuck for one reason or another. Normally I would attach some links for other threads dealing with this, but my computer is being a jerk and is going to get re-booted shortly. At the top of this page you will find a search bar, put in Egg bound and start reading. You will probably need some calcium gluconate 23% as well, available as a liquid from tractor supply. Time is critical, I lost a hen to this last year, the egg is currently pinching a nerve and that is why she cannot use her legs correctly. Heat, moist air, a rubber glove and some form of lubricant will also come in handy.

If you can get her to eat, crush up some Tums in scrambled eggs with cheese, it has calcium for emergency. Also makes sure she is warm, they say steam helps them lay that egg as well, like a steamy bathroom?
Hoping for the best for your hen.

She is up and walking now wanting out. Is this normal with Egg bound hens? To not be walking and laying still and then act normalish? Am I being over concerned?

She is up and walking now wanting out. Is this normal with Egg bound hens? To not be walking and laying still and then act normalish? Am I being over concerned?

Not really normal, but it is not something I have had a huge amount of experience with. Once mine went down she really didn't get back up, she would scrabble around a little to try and get away from me, but she never could get up and walk again. It is possible that the egg has moved a little and is not pinching the nerve now, the eggs can move farther out and they can actually be drawn back in a little, so hard to tell. I wouldn't let her out yet though. Try to get some calcium in her, the tums suggestion might work best. she could end up unable to walk again, and if she does, she will be defenseless if she's loose. Keep an eye in the pen for the remains of an egg. Sometimes they are almost shell-less and are hard to spot, I have found passed eggs that looked like nothing more than a puddle of yolk. At this point I would back off and try to observe her, but stress her as little as possible and try to get extra calcium in her. You said these are free-ranged gifts from the previous home owner, so I'm guessing they are not super people-friendly, and as such, too much close up interaction can stress her terribly.

Last edited:
You could try checking for an egg by *very gently* inserting a lubed, gloved finger about 1/2". I safe gently because if it's a shell-less or soft-shelled egg you don't want to break it.

Pictures:

If you find and egg you can give calcium orally at 50 mg per pound, then place her in a warm bathroom full of steam for several hours. This is what I use:

Available at Tractor Supply in the cattle section. Dose per pound is 0.2ml. Refrigerate after opening.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thank you for all your help, she is eating and walking normal. Hope she is ok. I did find a broken egg down by the barn I am not sure who it is from.(I have 3 hens at laying age)I will continue to watch her and give her the calcium, they did not have it at my tractor supply so I have to make a trip to Farm and fleet in the morning. Right now I have given her the crushed tums in the scrambled eggs.

Back
Top Bottom