New to turken chicken

Can you get a closer picture of the saddle area? I think I see what the other poster is seeing as well, but it's hard to tell for sure if it's masculine feathering or just the lighting and angle of the picture.

I still think this is a spectacular bird! He reminds me of a truffula tree. 🤣

Can you get a closer picture of the saddle area? I think I see what the other poster is seeing as well, but it's hard to tell for sure if it's masculine feathering or just the lighting and angle of the picture.

I still think this is a spectacular bird! He reminds me of a truffula tree. 🤣
Here are some close up pictures from a different angle maybe this will help.

Attachments

• 50B016A4-96BF-46D0-A3E9-0D326380AED4.jpeg
    50B016A4-96BF-46D0-A3E9-0D326380AED4.jpeg
    546.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 19860FAF-8776-42BD-8643-24E059B65528.jpeg
    19860FAF-8776-42BD-8643-24E059B65528.jpeg
    562.5 KB · Views: 5
I believe it is a cockerel. Also not a pure Turken as the comb, crest and feathered legs aren't typical of that breed. Maybe a cross with a Silkie.
There aren’t a lot of “pure” Turkens. Once they came to the US they were crossed with other breeds to add color diversity. So that Turken at the feed store or the hatchery isn’t likely pure.

😭😭 omg I was really hoping it’s a Pullet, but either way I think it looks so handsome 😍
Can you give us a couple of side shots of the bird in question? I suck at gender guesses if the comb isn’t straight, but a body shot is helpful.

I’m not saying anyone here is wrong, but I had a rooster with a pea comb and everyone told me he was a pullet lol.

There aren’t a lot of “pure” Turkens. Once they came to the US they were crossed with other breeds to add color diversity. So that Turken at the feed store or the hatchery isn’t likely pure.

Yes, this. ☝️ There is a true breed of naked neck chickens, standardized as Transylvanian Naked Neck in several varieties, in the U.S., but most of what we refer to as naked necks or "turkens" are not purebred by any stretch, they simply have the naked neck gene.

Can you give us a couple of side shots of the bird in question? I suck at gender guesses if the comb isn’t straight, but a body shot is helpful.

I’m not saying anyone here is wrong, but I had a rooster with a pea comb and everyone told me he was a pullet lol.

There are some recent side profile pictures toward the top of page 2.

Also, whoops, I lost track of this thread somehow! I do think this is a cockerel still. I can't see any feathers that are definitely masculine pointed in the saddle, but I do see a glint of gold emerging in the shoulders that is a masculine trait, and that's just too much comb and wattle growth for a 14 week old pullet in my experience.

Yes, this. ☝️ There is a true breed of naked neck chickens, standardized as Transylvanian Naked Neck in several varieties, in the U.S., but most of what we refer to as naked necks or "turkens" are not purebred by any stretch, they simply have the naked neck gene.

There are some recent side profile pictures toward the top of page 2.

Also, whoops, I lost track of this thread somehow! I do think this is a cockerel still. I can't see any feathers that are definitely masculine pointed in the saddle, but I do see a glint of gold emerging in the shoulders that is a masculine trait, and that's just too much comb and wattle growth for a 14 week old pullet in my experience.
I looked at those on the computer rather than my phone and I would tend to agree it’s a cockerel. But how awesome is that?! He can spread those funky genes and I think he’s a cool looking guy!

Agree, he's the coolest! I actually recently was hoping one of my Cochin bantams would be male for that exact reason, to be able to spread the traits I like in her further, but she sadly has turned out to be a pullet. Feels weird to word it that way! 🤣 There are definite benefits to certain birds being male, though, the big one being that a male contributes his genes to all eggs coming out of a flock he leads (assuming no other males are present), whereas a hen only contributes her genes in her own eggs, obviously. As a male, this dude can make a whole lot more super cool funky offspring. 🤩

Ok….. I’ve waited loooonnggg enough, so the turken is about 14 weeks now. I still don’t see any saddle feathers. Do you guys still think it’s a rooster? 🤦‍♀️
I have TNN. That's a cockerel. The smaller is a hen. They are slow developers. My cockerel was more than happy to let my other cockerel rule the roost because pecking order took place before he began crowing. They don't like confrontation. They come into their own about a month to 2 months behind other breeds. If anyone wants to dispute this, please don't! Chickens are like people. All act and mature differently

Back
Top Bottom