new to turkeys

minister man

Songster
13 Years
Sep 9, 2010
New Brunswick
Hi I am completely new to turkeys. I purchased a pair of royal palm turkeys a couple of weeks ago which have been running loose in the horse barn since then. I want to build them a pen/stall tomorrow.

I am thinking 5x8. I was reading a book online that said small turkeys needed about 12 square feet and that would give them 20 each.

I am thinking that if one part of the front is verticle slats so they can't come through, but could reach through to feeders on the outside then if someone else was to have to feed them, they wouldn't have to go in the pen. How far apart would you put the slats?

would you put the walls right to the ceiling? or would they stay in a 6 foot high pen?

Hi I am completely new to turkeys. I purchased a pair of royal palm turkeys a couple of weeks ago which have been running loose in the horse barn since then. I want to build them a pen/stall tomorrow.

I am thinking 5x8. I was reading a book online that said small turkeys needed about 12 square feet and that would give them 20 each.

I am thinking that if one part of the front is verticle slats so they can't come through, but could reach through to feeders on the outside then if someone else was to have to feed them, they wouldn't have to go in the pen. How far apart would you put the slats?

would you put the walls right to the ceiling? or would they stay in a 6 foot high pen?
Royal Palms fly very well. They can easily jump to the top of a 6' fence. I personally would not lock up a pair of turkeys in a dimly lit barn stall and expect them to do well. Turkeys really aren't good indoor birds.

I also would not pen a tom and hen in such a small area without places where she can get away from him. I try to keep at least 4 or 5 hens for one tom turkey. My turkeys have access to my coop during the day but spend their nights on their roosts that are under the stars.

Part of my issue is the Canadian winter. When it is -30 and 4 feet of snow give or take they are probably going to want a pen. So maybe they each need their own pen.

Is there a way you can give them outdoor access to a run as well? I’ve had turks for a few years now and around here they were happy to get out and scratch in the driveway on a sunny -30 day.
I would also like to add that the proscribed “minimum “ for turkeys isn’t enough, especially a showy breed like RP’s, if you want them to look nice give them plenty of room to keep their wings and tails from getting ratty.
7BED92D8-D2E0-430B-A3C6-49DBE47C3C1C.jpeg

I Have and 8x12x6 dog kennel made out of chain link, and I was going to attach it to their pen, and build a car port type roof over it, and maybe a soild wall on the north side to block the wind.

Part of my issue is the Canadian winter. When it is -30 and 4 feet of snow give or take they are probably going to want a pen. So maybe they each need their own pen.
My turkeys see -30°F almost every winter. The deep snow is a different issue but the cold is not a problem. Giving them access to get out and about during the daytime is needed.

Back
Top Bottom