new to waxahachie and hens

Hello, Angela, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Do you have a site chosen for your coop and run? The coop and run must come first and THEN you can get your chickens!
No I did it bass ackwards then. I read some things out of order online. I just have 8 chicks from the feed store. I just wrote the ellis county office to ask about regulations and codes in waxahachie for raising backyard chickens. hopefully they say its ok. (hopefully) The lady at the feed store told me they can go outdoors in two months so i figure i have that as my timeline to get a run and coop situated.

No I did it bass ackwards then. I read some things out of order online. I just have 8 chicks from the feed store. I just wrote the ellis county office to ask about regulations and codes in waxahachie for raising backyard chickens. hopefully they say its ok. (hopefully) The lady at the feed store told me they can go outdoors in two months so i figure i have that as my timeline to get a run and coop situated.
You are going to want them outside sooner than that. And 8 chicks are going to need a large brooder at about 3 - 4 weeks old. You really need to get moving.
Have you considered converting a shed into a coop?

You are going to want them outside sooner than that. And 8 chicks are going to need a large brooder at about 3 - 4 weeks old. You really need to get moving.
Have you considered converting a shed into a coop?
They were born in the begining of February. For my brooder I used large boxes that I cut squares into and connected in order to allow them to go from one portion to the next. I lined the bottom of the boxes with cardboard that was wrapped in plastic shrink wrap. I have pine shavings over the bottom of the boxes. They have the feeder and water combo and I keep it hot in the room with a heater. I put a log inside the box and a toy and give them alfalfa sometimes. They are near the window and the room is a study that we have a few things in. Yes, I need to get moving but I am awaiting word from the county on if they have regulations for a coop I need to know.

@AngelaPrivate - A wonderful BYC welcome to you! :welcome

We are so glad to have you here, and can't wait to hear more about your upcoming flock! Thank you and your husband both for your service to this great nation.

welcomeimage.png

Back
Top Bottom