New treat for the winter boredom!

kimboolah

Songster
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Northwoods of Wisconsin
Today I bought my chooks some crickets! I bought 5 dollars worth and came home and dumped them into the deep litter. OMGosh! What a frenzy! They had such a good time and were active and running around. I think they caught every last one, too! Then they actually followed me outside into the snow for the first time in a long time. Crickets once a week now!

I would have loved to see that! I thought of getting my birds crickets for Christmas dinner but settled for mealworms instead.

ooh la la!! Crickets for dinner.

thumbsup.gif

thanks for the chicken dance inspiration. I can't wait to feed them some.

D.gif

i dont know who suggested this on this forum... but i've been (once a week) been giving my ducks a head of cabbage or lettuce on a string. they go at it like its duck tetherball...i'll open thier door so they can freerange and instead they decide to stay in and continue the passing of the cabbage tetherball... i used some strong string hung from the middle of the cage, then tied a long screw bolt that has an eye (opening) at the top... each time the balls (cabbage) is gone, i screw another one on! i use a 4 inch long bolt to insure the cabbage tetherball doesnt fall off and become a bowling ball with my bowling pins... i mean runner ducks.
sometimes it even is frozen and they still work on it.

So how many crickets do you get for $5?

I think my wife would not be happy if I brought those home and any escaped and came near the house.

We get large crickets for 8 cents each at our local pet supply shop (who were also amazed that we feed them to chickens!)! I *love* the cabbage-on-a-string idea...gonna have to try that one!

Back
Top Bottom