New treat for the winter boredom!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kimboolah, Jan 5, 2010.

1. kimboolah

kimboolah Chillin' With My Peeps

Today I bought my chooks some crickets! I bought 5 dollars worth and came home and dumped them into the deep litter. OMGosh! What a frenzy! They had such a good time and were active and running around. I think they caught every last one, too! Then they actually followed me outside into the snow for the first time in a long time. Crickets once a week now!

1 person likes this.
  2. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    I would have loved to see that! I thought of getting my birds crickets for Christmas dinner but settled for mealworms instead.

3. Grapefruit Moon

Grapefruit Moon Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2009
    ooh la la!! Crickets for dinner.

[​IMG]

thanks for the chicken dance inspiration. I can't wait to feed them some.

[​IMG]

4. thedoors5to1

thedoors5to1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    i dont know who suggested this on this forum... but i've been (once a week) been giving my ducks a head of cabbage or lettuce on a string. they go at it like its duck tetherball...i'll open thier door so they can freerange and instead they decide to stay in and continue the passing of the cabbage tetherball... i used some strong string hung from the middle of the cage, then tied a long screw bolt that has an eye (opening) at the top... each time the balls (cabbage) is gone, i screw another one on! i use a 4 inch long bolt to insure the cabbage tetherball doesnt fall off and become a bowling ball with my bowling pins... i mean runner ducks.
    sometimes it even is frozen and they still work on it.

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    where would one buy crickets? i would love to get some!

6. momreda

momreda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Cumberland Furnace, TN
    You can get them at bait shops.

7. kimboolah

I bought today's crickets at the pet shop. They said it was the first time they sold crickets for chickens--usually lizards and such, I guess.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    So how many crickets do you get for $5?

I think my wife would not be happy if I brought those home and any escaped and came near the house.

9. kimboolah

ninety cents per dozen. They give me the heebeejeebees for sure! I took them right from the car to the coop, never came NEAR the house! ick.

10. Zoopathy

Zoopathy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2009
    San Diego
    We get large crickets for 8 cents each at our local pet supply shop (who were also amazed that we feed them to chickens!)! I *love* the cabbage-on-a-string idea...gonna have to try that one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by