New, unexpected chicken addition

ntankovich

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 8, 2013
Hi there,
I had a neighbor come by recently that needed to give away their sole chicken. I told them I'd be happy to take her and add her to my flock. I set up an area for her not within the coop and she's staying there alone.
Can you give me some suggestions on when and how to introduce her to the flock? I know I should quarantine because of disease but I'm not sure a month is entirely possible. Any tips?

Is she within sight of the rest of your flock? Can they see/talk to each other? Also, how many birds do you have? It's a lot different if you're introducing her to three birds or thirty.

Last edited:
She's within sight of them. I did read over some of the other threads about this and I saw being too close wasn't good. I think she's in a good spot.
I have 11 birds. Wasn't fully expecting another. We have a lot of space in our backyard but it's a backyard flock. I don't live in the country. I don't want to disrupt the peace here. The chicken was from another family about a block away from my house.

It's only day two but the other chickens have taken virtually no interest in her.

Do you free range your birds? If so, that's a good way to introduce them, if you let your birds out but keep her in her pen. They can go meet her but with a fence between them.

That's exactly what I'm doing today! I hope that helps!!!! They haven't taken any interest yet.

When I integrate new birds into the flock, I do what you are doing and let them visit for a while between a fence. Once they aren't interested anymore, I'll let the newcomer out to free range with them. Usually, the problems occur once the newcomer is locked into the coop with them since roosting positions are determined by pecking order. The new bird typically ends up sleeping on the ground, at least until they find their spot in the scheme of things. My RIR's are the undisputed flock mistresses and don't tolerate others in their places very well.

Be sure you check the new bird for any signs of lice or mites. You might want to dust her for them, just to be sure, and oil her feet and shanks, or just do the inspection. I'd be sure she's been at your place for 3 nights before allowing her out to range with your birds, and then do so when it's getting close to roost time, have some treats handy for them, (your birds are less likely to pick on her if they are scrambling for some treats) and be there to supervise, and be sure the new girl gets back in before lights out. She may even choose to follow your flock into their coop for the night.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom