Adding A New Hen: Am I Doing It Right?

Mattie15

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2023
Burbank, Alabama
I recently got a new hen. She isn't much younger than my other ones, she's healthy and still peeping- But the other ladies didn't accept her. I figured that. She's a different color, but I have a mixed flock, AND the others I have came from a mixed flock as well. The same flock, by the way. I made her a separate pen, one that she could have some peace in and so the others can see her without being mean. The aggression has calmed down a bit, but she's only been in the pen for three days. Will the other hens get used to her after a few weeks? I'd like to have some opinions because this is my first time introducing a new flock member.

Attachments

• IMG_20230816_093911.jpg
    IMG_20230816_093911.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20230816_093928.jpg
    IMG_20230816_093928.jpg
    627.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230818_123014.jpg
    IMG_20230818_123014.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 1
Introducing a single pullet/hen is often the most difficult integration.

If one of your original flock seems more friendly with the new girl, you might try housing them together for awhile. Then the new girl will have a friend when they out into the general population.

Expect this to take a couple of weeks. Good luck.

How many in the old flock, and how old is everyone? It’s not the color or breed they are, it’s whether they know each other. Even if she looked exactly like them to you, they’d still see her as a stranger.
I’d say expect it to take a couple months. Good luck, keep us updated!

When it comes to integration, nothing is written on stone. It all depends on the different temperaments and how they interact with each other. Integrating a single hen is very difficult, the advise of moving a friendly hen with her first for a while and then turn them lose with the rest might be better. There are several guidelines for integrations that help. Good luck

How many in the old flock, and how old is everyone? It’s not the color or breed they are, it’s whether they know each other. Even if she looked exactly like them to you, they’d still see her as a stranger.
I’d say expect it to take a couple months. Good luck, keep us updated!
There was a LOT in the old flock. I just have five, not including the new girl. And there's about a month or two age gap, I'd say.

Back
Top Bottom