New waterfowl pen

George in NH

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 18, 2007
I got tired of the mess the geese and ducks make around the chicken coop so today I got some fence and made them a new area to mess up.

The new pen area is quite large. It took 400 feet of fencing. It about kills a person to mow this area so I decided to put the geese and ducks to work mowing it.

IMG_0790.jpg

These are the muscovies in the new pen.

Muscovies07-11-2007.jpg

And these are the geese.

geese07-11-2007.jpg

I had been letting the geese free range and they have done a good job of keeping the property mowed. I went out and bout a brand new lawn mower five weeks ago; I mowed the day I got the lawn mower and that has been it. The geese are great lawn mowers but there is a problem with them wandering the yard, they leave their calling card every other foot. I couldn't walk anywhere in the yard without stepping in fresh fertilizer. They have another big pen but always thought the grass was greener on the other side. They'd pace back and forth while honking loudly. They also spent a lot of time in one corner of their other pen and had made quite a mess in the corner. I will move them back to their other pen when they have the new pen mowed. I will switch them back and forth during grass growing season.

The muscovies are pretty neat (messy but neat as in cool lol). I had 17 babies hatch last week. There are 8 eggs in the incubator and another muscovy is sitting on ten eggs. Won't be long before I'll be going across the road to fence in the neigbors field (he even has a pond).

Back
Top Bottom