New with geese

jade_softtail

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 14, 2009
Waverly, Ohio
Thanks for all the input but I no longer have geese.
sad.png

Last edited:
The geese are just great with the chickens and the chickens should learn that the geese are fine but generally most of the time then the chickens do not like the geese but they do fine together! I feed mine just regular chicken pellets and that works really well... they don't need a feeder but for mine they seemed to like just a regular bucket for there feeder... you can buy those at a feed store or tractor supply if there is any near you! Some books that I like is the Book of Geese by Dave Hollerread and Domestic Geese but I forgot the author to that one! The eggs are good to cook with and I hear cooks of restaurants really like them!

I hope that helps you a little bit!

noahsgeese

Keep in mind that I am a rookie and probably don't know what I am talking about.

I brought 4 Toulouse geese home two nights ago. I was told by a bird guy that I could put them in the chicken house while I finished the Goose shed, but that my chickens would likely quit laying for a week or so. I put my first ducks with the chickens a couple weeks ago and those chickens are still laying, but they do not like the ducks one bit, so they will also have their own shed. My geese are presently in our cedar fenced courtyard while I finish their shed.

Hopefully they will all have their own condo by the end of this weekend or early next week. My ducks and geese will share the same yard/run and everything will free roam during the day.

The sheds I am building are small, 4x6 lean-to's, single wall construction. One for the 6 ducks and one for the 4 geese. They aren't too expensive, so if they turn out to be too small, I'll build more and connect them. Materials for two sheds cost me about $350 at Home Depot... total.

So far, when allowed to all be together, the chickens haven't picked on the geese, but they do pick on the ducks. The ducks like the geese, and the geese seem to just tolerate them... a bit of hissing back and forth. The geese haven't bothered the chickens... they seem to just ignore them.

Good luck.....

Dan

Last edited:
Congrats on your new geese
smile.png
Geese need plenty of room so depending on how large your chicken area is you might need to build a seperate area for them. My geese have two sheds they can go in but they rarely use them, even in the dead of winter. I keep their food inside to keep it dry so they go in to eat but other than that they stay outside. They would rather lay on straw on top of the snow then get into the shelters filled with straw. Go figure? It is preferable that you feed your geese in some type of container so you can take it up if it rains and to make sure they are getting enough feed if they don't have a grassy area to graze. Geese become ill and can even die if they eat moldy food so be sure to always keep their food dry. Layer food is not the best thing to feed them right now since its not breeding season. Non- medicated chick grower is a good choice because it has the right amount of protein for adult geese. They need a deep container like a bucket for their water because they have to clear their nostrils by sticking their entire beaks in it including their heads. If their nostrils clog it also causes them problems. Beware in the spring because geese can get aggressive, especially the ganders, so don't be surprised if they start to get attitudes around February. Two of my ganders and one of my females are brats all year round so you just never know with geese. Good luck with your geese. I think you will enjoy them.

I like my geese. I have had several over the years. I had a pair that did well with my chickens, but hated ducks. The geese I have now seem okay with ducks, but I always move my geese into their own pens during breeding season. The become very cranky with each other and with other birds during that time. They also get cranky with humans!

geese are geese, I would not put my gander in with my chickens. He is big and my chickens are small, Sometimes he does get one with his bill when they get to close. My Emden is very afraid of my banty roo though. My gander does get along with most of the ducks I have but not the drakes so they all free ranging during the day, but in their own space over night.

When do geese lay eggs? Someone told me in November but I thought I saw something about them laying only in the Spring.

Last edited:
I only have a gander and his wife is a muscovy duck so have only heard that geese can start to lay in February but that might determine where you live and climate. I hope to get a goose for my gander when his wife now passes on, but he's only ever known ducks so not sure how that will go.

Back
Top Bottom